Do you like mushrooms?

No, I’ve always hated them. Decades later I found out I am allergic to them. Perhaps I got sick eating them as a kid and developed an aversion.

Love mushrooms. Not canned, of course, but fresh, properly cleaned and cooked. Some frozen ones are good, too. Best are the wild ones – bear’s head tastes like lobster or crab. Boletes, aka porcini, full of umami. Chanterelles are my favorite, roasted with a trace of olive oil and thyme.

Your recipes look terrific, Mr. Dibble. Thanks! I shall try both the pasties and your cypress-stuffed portobellos.

I like them. My gout hates them.

Love love love. I’m a hobbit in this regard.

<snicker>

Used to hunt those, too.

I love most mushrooms. I did learn an important lesson re boletes, though. Don’t wash them. Clean them gently with a brush to remove dirt and forest litter, but Do. Not. Wash. They absorb the water, you see, like the little sponges they resemble. When they’re cooked, the release the water – like snot.

I learned this when I served bolete mushroom soup to guests. As the soup cooled, it became more and more like mucous. Tasted great, but no one could eat it as it slid off the spoons in ropey drools. My stomach roils to remember. I still love boletes, but now I give them a day to dry out a bit and then saute them in hot butter with a little garlic and parsley.

Like Tapiotar, my favorites are chanterelles. Season here arrives right around Thanksgiving, so they’re always on the table for the holiday.

My gripe is with cilantro. It’s been trendy for a while and it shows up in tons of things.

Thing is, some people have a genetic basis to dislike the stuff. Something like 20% of the population has a gene that makes cilantro taste like soap.

You’d think a restaurant wouldn’t put cilantro in something one out of five customers will hate but nope…some places put in damn near everything.

Absolutely love them, my wife is indifferent so I can’t cook with them as often as I like.

I really think most people who hate mushrooms do it out of an “ick” factor. It is slimy fungus!

Thing is there are a huge variety of mushrooms and they are incredibly versatile when cooking so saying you dislike the taste of them doesn’t make much sense to me. Some sure but all of them? Particularly when they are so good at picking up flavors in the dish.

They are one of the few ways to get umami flavor from a vegetable.

I love mushrooms, especially fried.

(For further data purposes, my brother hates 'em).

Love 'em.

I’ve never heard of this. Is it just what they call it at your go-to place or is it widely available? The only named pizza combos I can think of are smog (sausage, mushroom, onion & green pepper and even that name isn’t too common) and margherita. Things like barbeque and meat lovers are not uniform among different places.

I’ve always loved mushrooms.

Unfortunately, in recent years, they don’t return the love; I sometimes get some GI distress after eating them, but it’s hit-or-miss.

I love ALL mushrooms. They add flavor and texture to any food, especially soups, which I love to make.

Alton Brown debunks this as a myth on an episode of Good Eats. He weighed the mushrooms,washed them, then weighed them again. They didn’t appear to absorb any significant amount of water.

Hate 'em. About a year ago I ordered manicotti at a nice Italian restaurant (best Italian in town). The ricotta cheese was blended with minced/chopped mushrooms. WTF? Ruined it.

I like mushrooms.

There’s also Hawaiian which is ham and pineapple, which I don’t like as a topping combo. I like something more flavorful to contrast with the pineapple especially pepperoni or bacon (or preferably both.)

Was he using boletes? I’ve only experienced this with that type. If he used only the regular supermarket-available mushrooms, I’m sure what you say is true.

It’s the standard name for that combo across South Africa (and I’m told a couple other places)

Hawaiian is ham/bacon and pineapple, that’s standard here as well.
Quattro stagioni is semi-standard, exact toppings vary a little.

I hate mushrooms. Gross. Unless they make me hallucinate. Then I like them. And I don’t just mean I put up with the taste because drugs. I mean I like the taste of shrooms.