Do You Like Sauerkraut?

Avoid it at all costs.

I have Polish heritage, and my dad loves it, but I can barely stand to be in the same room as sauerkraut.

I’m not a big vinegar fan. My wife likes it, though.

On hot dogs (Nathan’s or Hebrew National only), please.

My parents are both Polish born. Of course I love sauerkraut, and all manners of pickled vegetables.

My preference is towards the fermented sauerkraut, not made with vinegar. Basically, you just salt and layer cabbage leaves, and let them sit for awhile until they naturally sour. This is the same basic idea behind a number of naturally soured pickles, like New York deli-style sour pickles or half-sours (which are only very lightly fermented), for instance. The tang comes from lactic acid instead of acetic acid, which I find a bit mellower and more flavorful.

No, no, and no! I can’t even stand the smell of it.

When I worked at the movie theater, we served hot dogs and pizza. We had sauerkraut available for the hot dogs. The woman came in regularly, ordered a cheese pizza, proceeded to cover it in sauerkraut, and then set it on the counter near me and chat with her friends. I could not wait for her to leave with her stinky pizza.

I like the taste of sauerkraut, but not the sauerkraut itself. I LOVE summer sausage slow-cooked in it, I love putting the juice on mashed potatoes, but I don’t like the stringy stuff actually in my mouth.

Had this for dinner last night! YYYYYYUUUMMMM!

My Southern husband loves when I fix him kraut-n-weenies: kielbasa and sauerkraut with pinto beans and cornbread.

My grandmother was Polish, and she made it a lot. My parents and sisters all love it.

I can’t actually say I don’t like the taste of it, because I’ve never been able to get close enough. The smell of it makes me gag from 50 feet away.

Love it.
Hoagie bun, spicy Italian sausage (or bratwurst), onions, kraut and some Italian salad dressing.

There are only three things that I e tried that I don’t like and sauerkraut isn’t one of those three. I love it on hot dogs or Reubens.

I don’t like cabbage and I don’t like pickled things. You do the math :smiley:

My mom used to cook sauerkraut and pork chops or spareribs in the pressure cooker with a bay leaf and lotsa salt and pepper. That was SO good. I’ve tried to cook it (in the oven) and it’s just lacking something. (I only do this on a nice windy day so I can open the windows - I’m forbidden to cook smelly cabbage or “The Nose” who lives here will pass out, gagging :mad:).

Nope. Nasty stuff.

I have German ancestry from both my mom and dad, so yeah, I like sauerkraut. I just had some tonight on turkey dogs. It was left over from the Reubens I made last week (for St. Pat’s - it’s corned beef and cabbage! I’m Irish, too). I like it on hot dogs, with sausages and potatoes, on Reubens and as a side dish and I’ve been known to eat it cold as a snack.

It’s delicious. I love it on top of pork, and with sausages of all kinds, the best.

I like it way, with anything, especially if it has caraway seeds in it. Anybody else like it that way?

Oh, yes.

Eating it in Germany for the first time was a revelation. There, it is often sweet and sour and red made with vinegar, wine, a bit of sweetspice, and some sugar and maybe lemon. But their real white stuff is often much less acidic than its American counterpart. A good rinse does Sauerkraut wonders, and it acts as the best bed and natural tenderizer for slow cooked pork.