Do you make your Hot Chocolate with water or milk?

Milk, sometimes coffee. Watered hot chocolate tastes too bland to me… but then again, I’m Canadian. I like poutines and Nanaimo bars, and butter tarts… or or… butter pecan tarts! Or Tim Horton’s Maple Pecan Danish…

~homesick~ :frowning:

Milk. Milk for me.

Valhrona 70% dark chocolate, cut up into small pieces
2 tbsp of sugar
Heavy cream, scalded

mix together and drink. Proceed to nearest hospital for open heart surgery.

I know I’m technically drinking a ganache and not a hot chocolate but I don’t care.

abomination

n 1: a person who is loathsome or disgusting 2: hate coupled with disgust [syn: abhorrence, detestation, execration, loathing, odium] 3: an action that is vicious or vile; an action that arouses disgust or abhorence; “making hot chocolate with water is an abomination”

I prefer milk.

I’m a milk person myself, with a bit of half and half mixed in. I can make it more or less decadent depending upon my mood. I also like it mixed with coffee.

Of course the true way is the Aztec Chocolatl drink: Chicken stock, cocoa, red pepper, vanilla and cinnamon. That stuff will grow hair where none existed.

Some people are really uppity about their hot chocolate choices. Gosh, forgive me for liking the “abomination” that is Swiss Miss.

Even if I make packaged hot chocolate I use milk, mostly because I hope that drinking milk instead of water will make the hot chocolate healthier because, hey, I’m getting my calcium, right? Right???

Maybe you can make a contribution to this thread. :slight_smile:

Y’know, you can get a reasonable facsuimile of Spanish chocolate once your stash runs out by making hot chocolate the regular way, but adding a bit of cornstarch mixed with cold water when you’re done heating the milk and mixing in the chocolate and sugar. That’s usually what thickens pudding, anyway.

Eva, if you ever need a bitch, let me know.

A tip-never try peanut butter in hot chocolate.

What’s the outcome?

Well - when my father made it when I was younger he always made it with milk but when I make it I usually use water but add a Latte Creamer to it to make it lovely and frothy!

Well, I’m lazy (you can just think of me as very busy, if you’re inclined toward generosity), so I use instant hot cocoa mix. It does already have powdered milk in it, but made with just water, it’s too wimpy. I make it with about 2/3 water, then top it off with milk.

My personal recipe:

1. Get a mug
  2. Dump a packet of cocoa mix in the bottom
  3. Fill with whipped cream (from a can) and stir a little
  4. Microwave a cup of water
  5. Pour the hot water into the mug and stir until it’s all nice and frothy
  6. Add more whipped cream on top (you can never have too much whipped cream!)
  7. Add a few chocolate sprinkles

YUM! :slight_smile: