Do You Own a "Car?"

Other than rental cars, all I have driven the past 28 years is pickups and SUV’s.

Click “thread tools” and there’s an “add a poll” option. You can still do it, don’t think the option expires like editing.

And yes, I have an old Civic.

We have a Subaru Crosstrek and a Subaru Forester. We haven’t owned anything that wasn’t AWD or 4WD in 20 years. Even the last 2 “cars” we had were Subaru Imprezas (AWD) and the last time we had one of those was 8 years ago. Jeeps (Cherokees & Wranglers), Subarus and a Ram have been our vehicles in the last 20 years.

When you live where we do, having the peace of mind with a AWD/4WD is worth everything. Many times I’ve come to work in the morning with clear roads only to have it snow like crazy all day. Then try to get home when home is uphill the whole way! With AWD you only have to worry about the drivers without, because they’re spinning their tires all the way up the hill and you’re behind them.:mad:

Of course, this is a problem from the manufacturers’ point of view, but it’s a big part of the reason I’ve always owned cars: I want/need to make my money go as far as possible.

Yes, a Prius. I think just getting an SUV is overrated since the majority of vehicles I’ve seen that have careened off the road during blizzards are SUVs, although of course it probably varies by model. Plus the Prius gets great mileage especially in Florida.

I own a '10 Mustang GT. It’s my dream car, like a Ferrari or a Lambo to me. It is now retired from daily driving and resting in my garage most of the time. My real life vehicle is a Ford Escape 4-wheel drive, a compact CUV. I love this thing, it’s more like a car, and I think the OP is wrong on one point. I think he would find that CUV’s sell more than trucks and SUV’s, because they are so car like.

What they really need to do is bring back the station wagon. I traded my '02 Taurus wagon for the Escape, but only because it was the only thing I could buy now that is close to a wagon. I think the only wagons you can get now are super expensive like Audis or Volvos

Yep, I have two cars:

2012 Volkswagon Beetle Wife’s car - It’s much roomier inside than I would have thought. Back seats are very comfortable. We are thinking about trading it in for a Tesla Model 3
2016 Tesla Model S 90D My car - After 2.5 years, I think I am done. The fit and finish is not wonderful; QC was not that great for my model year, and the vehicle as a whole just has a standard sedan feel, nothing special. Even the vertically oriented touch screen feels dated at this point. Also, regardless what any Tesla fan boy (or girl) will tell you, range anxiety is real, and having to stop for at least 30 minutes to recharge every couple of hundred miles has become a pain in the neck.

I traded in my old 2004 Porsche 986 for the Tesla, and now find myself drooling over Porsches again and spending way too much time in the Configurator. I’ve been to the dealership in Princeton twice in the past month so it is only a matter of time before I trade in my Tesla for a new 911 991 Carrera 4S in Miami Blue. :slight_smile:

2005 Prius
1966 MGB roadster.

And a Jeep Cherokee.

We own two cars (Fiat 500 and Suzuki Aerio SX hatchback). We once owned a Chrysler minivan, which, despite its crummy and ultimately nonfunctional air conditioning, was a wonderfully capable vehicle. Our next vehicle will probably be a small SUV; Mrs R wants to sit up high so she can see.

I think one reason people are turning to SUVs is that vehicles are so expensive, they have to have one single vehicle capable of several jobs: passenger carrying, load toting, trailer pulling. Also, it has to be able to get you to your crummy job in the worst weather, because those dickheads in management aren’t going to ever close the plant, and your pathetic amount of sick leave has already run out.

I agree, but I think most people are buying CUV’s. I think there is a definite difference between a CUV and an SUV. There are some automotive mags that really break it down.

In addition to a 2000 Ford F-150 truck, I own (and do maintenance on) four cars:

2005 Saab 9-5 with 110K miles
2005 Saab 9-5 with 162K miles
1998 Saab 900 with 120K miles
2002 Saturn L200 with 272K miles

I am now in the market for a used Mazda Miata.

I drive a car; a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. So not only do I drive a car, I drive one that’s quite endangered. My wife drives a 2007 Chevy HHR. I think it’s classified (at least by Farmer’s Insurance) as light truck, but in reality it’s a station wagon. She thinks it’s uglier than sin but it suits her needs, so she likes it. I hate riding in it because it’s uncomfortable.

I love my car. I fit in it well (I’m tall and have long legs, so most cars aren’t comfortable for me) and I can see out of it easily and it handles like it’s on rails. It has some serious giddyap when I punch the gas. This is the second Grand Prix that I’ve owned and with a bit of luck I’ll drive this one into the ground. The only other car that I’ve ever driven that was more comfortable was a 1994 Lexus SC400. Loved that one too.

I had the chance to drive a 2011 Nissan Rogue on a halfway-cross country trip this past summer. It was… meh. It had less room in it than my Pontiac (especially cargo room — I thought that was supposed to be one of the selling points of these newfangled crossovers??) and wasn’t as comfortable. It had a few gadgets that might be nice on a regular basis like a satellite radio, but nothing that I can’t live without or put in my car as an aftermarket item. My biggest gripe was that it was nearly impossible to see out of. The rear window was the size of a postage stamp and the blind spots were bigger than football fields. It made freeway driving notably more difficult. I did do some some driving and semi-maintained dirt roads that I wouldn’t have dared try in the Grand Prix, so I guess it had that going for it.

So yeah, it was basically a large ugly car, without the benefits of a car and without the benefits of a true SUV.

(My first car was a 1979 International Scout II. This was when SUV’s were serious about both sport and utility, although the Scout was more about utility. That was followed by a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, also serious about both sport and utility — exponentially moreso than the IH. After owning those it’s very hard for me to take any new “SUV” seriously. There are a few exceptions like the above mentioned Wrangler, but they are by far the exception. Tell you what. Just give me a '58 Chrysler Saratoga and I’ll be happy. While you’re at it get the hell off of my lawn.)

Yes, we have one SUV and one sedan.

So when does the next phase in “I’ve got a bigger dick” contest start?

We all drive Hummers, or Tractors from a tractor-trailer? Maybe surplus army tanks?

I see so many yahoos around here (and in my neighborhood) with these monster 4x4s or SUVs big enough to move a family of 4’s belongings.
Rarely if ever do I see them actually use them for their original purposes. And these folks are the same jerks who cry when gas goes to $3.50 a gallon.
It’s like buying a UHAUL because maybe once or twice a year I might have to haul something. Really? Never heard of truck rentals?

I used to have an SUV because I was a sheeple. Then after a while it dawned on me that I was getting shitty 25 miles/gallon at best and used the “space” for maybe 2 or 3 times a year for a trip, or getting a bulky item home from a store. All that “convenience” for an extra 7000 of vehicle + untold in extra gasoline. Genius.

The CUV works for me, but I think you could get the same thing in a station wagon. I’m in a close suburb to my city, so I don’t really need hardcore 4WD capability. My Escape is rated for 3500# towing, so it can’t tow the Mustang. But it can easily tow my motorcycle or a general utility trailer.

I honestly think CUV’s are cars.

Yes. Sports coupe/muscle car.

I value performance and handling the most. The trunk is large enough for daily practical use, and the fuel efficiency is surprisingly good.

Well, I drive an SUV because I’m short and I find I have much better visibility than in a sedan. We also use it multiple times a year moving the kids to and from their dorm rooms, hauling large loads of garden and home repair materials, and monthly from Costco. We also used it when the kids were younger for our yearly camping trips, to haul tents and supplies.

So you may have been driving an SUV because you’re a sheeple, but not everyone who drives one is doing so for the same reasons.

Without an SUV I wouldn’t be able to drive in and out of our lane (a private road that doesn’t get plowed) when we get significant snowfalls. I’d also have trouble taking our three large dogs to work every day.

Car. Hyundai Elantra. It’s the biggest car I’ve owned.

Next car will be something smaller.

Yeah, they’re hard to come by. We have a ‘12 Acura TSX wagon, which they don’t make anymore. It wasn’t too expensive second hand, more like buying a well equipped Honda. The extra space is nice for road trips with the kids, but it’s essentially a regular car. I don’t enjoy driving SUVs and being so high up from the road.

The other car is a ‘09 Prius. Both are fine for our needs. We will probably drive them until they’re uneconomical to repair or fail to provide reliable transportation.