Do you put your wallet in your back pocket?

RIght rear pocket for nearly 50 years, no hip problems.

I used to keep my wallet in my back pocket. A doctor said that was bad for my back because the wallet was so thick. Then he offered to thin it out for me.

Not yet?

I haven’t carried a wallet in my back pocket since I was a kid. I can’t remember exactly when I switched to the front pocket—probably sometime during college.

For about 25 years I’ve used a Levenger Card Wallet, which is smaller and thinner than a conventional wallet and better suited for a front pocket.

I’ve also heard that carrying a wallet in a back pocket is bad for your back, but I’ve never experienced that. I switched to the front pocket because it felt more secure. I almost never put anything in a back pocket, other than something very thin and relatively unimportant (like a shopping list, or a business card that someone hands me).

Yep. Wallet in my right front pocket for probably the last 40 years. Phone in my front left pocket pretty much since cell phones became a common thing. Nothing in my back pockets.

My wallet goes in my right front pocket ever since I got pickpocketed one time in middle school. Now if someone wants to try, they’ve gotta risk me fisk.

Still keep mine in my back pocket. I’m left-handed so it goes in the left one.

I’m one of the only people I know who uses a bifold wallet so it’s probably a little thinner than a trifold one, and perhaps less uncomfortable to sit on.

Wallet in right rear pocket, but I’d noticed the leg and hip pain starting to happen a few years back, and got a slim wallet. Similar to this. No leg or hip pain since then.
It carries all the cards I need for day-to-day. I’ve got my old fat wallet in the desk drawer in case I ever need any cards I don’t carry in the small one. Come to think of it, I haven’t even looked at the old one since I stuck it in the drawer. About the only important thing in there is my Social Security card, and I don’t need that anymore.

In my usual civvies with back patch pockets, my wallet’s in the left back pocket. But my wallet is only 3/16" thick. That’s on purpose because a big fat wallet is a PITA to carry in any pocket

In my work duds, the back pocket is a sewn pocket, not a patch pocket. So when I settle into the seat I reach around and slide the pocket liner & wallet off to the side so it’s alongside my butt cheek, not under it. So I’m not sitting on it for hours on end.

Unless I absentmindedly put it in the right back pocket, out of long-established habit, but as soon as I notice it I change it back.

Comb goes in the back right (was back left before I switched it and the wallet). Keys are in the front right, phone in the front left,* coins in the fob pocket. And if I get bills after a cash transaction, they get stuffed in with the phone until I get around to putting them in the wallet.

* When I remember to take it off the charger, that is.

I carried my wallet in my back pocket when I was young. I started getting hip pains. A friend recommended moving my wallet to a front pocket and the hip pains went away.

Anyone have any suggestions which pocket I should move my wallet to now to make my knees stop hurting?

Wallet in right back pocket unless I’m in a crowd, when it goes in a front pocket. When I drive any distance
I’ll take it out of my pocket and put it on the car seat (or between my legs so I don’t forget it when I get out of the car).

About the same. I ditched the wallet and started using a doublesided money & card clip ten years ago. It holds my currency and my DL, debit & primary CC. Before then, I had a wallet in the rear right, the clip moved to front right. Keys are in there, too. Left front is phone. If at work, my pen, Sharpie & tweaker are also in the front left, along with additional work phone and, seasonally (like now), lip balm.

I usually only have my wallet in my pocket if I’m walking. If I am sitting a lot, I’ll take it out and keep it elsewhere. I’ve not found the back pocket to be a problem, aside from the little zip fastener pressing into my butt if I slide it in the wrong way round.

I don’t carry a wallet anymore, just my phone with drivers licence and two credit cards in the cover. I used to carry my wallet in my back pocket but I had problems with my arse going numb so I migrated to a front pocket.

The last wallet I kept in my back pocket was a Harley chain wallet, back in the '70s, when I frequented NYC leather bars.

I stopped putting things in my pockets, instead I’ve been carrying a pouch. In this pouch goes my wallet, a lighter, hemostats, hearing aid batteries, my EDC knife, a bottle opener, cash, gift cards, etc.

Here it is, currently unavailable.

George had hard candy in his huge wallet too.

I was always had my wallet in my right rear pocket until about 15 years ago. I was having bad sciatic nerve pain down my right leg. I happened to be out for dinner with a good friend who runs a physiotherapy / occupational therapy / orthotics and prosthetics clinic.

The conversation was:
“What’s wrong? Why are you fidgeting so much?”
"I’m having sciatic nerve pain down my right leg. "
“Do you keep your wallet in your right rear pocket?”
“Yes.”
“Take it out. The number one cause of hip, back and sciatic nerve pain in men is keeping their wallet in their back pocket.”

He said having anything in your rear pocket when you sit causes you to cock your hips slightly. Over time that misaligns you hip and lower back causing problems. I was better in a couple days with zero issues since.

Regarding your OP question

I don’t think it’s particularly common knowledge. Several male friends of mine male have also come complained about sciatic nerve and back problems and I’ve given him the same advice. It’s worked each time.

Wallet and comb in right rear. Nothing in left rear (unless I’m going grocery shopping and then I put the list there).

Front left pocket are for my car keys and a pen. Right front pocket is for paper money and any change I got at the store or something. In the right tiny pocket I always keep $1.50 in quarters.