Do you put your wallet in your back pocket?

I’ve been having hip problems and a buddy told me it’s because I put my wallet (plastic cards, ID, gate key at work, etc…) in my back pocket. I stopped doing that a couple months ago and my hip feels much better. Is it common knowledge to not put your wallet in your back pocket?

I had to stop around age 40. Sitting on one started making my lower back stiff.

I haven’t put anything in my back pocket since I was like 12.

And yes I’ve heard doctors recommend not putting anything large in one’s back pocket.

I seem to recall this was also mentioned in a Seinfeld episode.

Wallet in right hip pocket, change in left hip pocket, keys in right back pocket. For as long as I can remember.

I remember that episode. George stuffed receipts in his wallet and it exploded on the street…

Didn’t until I was in high school and had a chain wallet (which looked stupid in a side pocket). Some time after high school I put reverted to keeping it my side pocket because i hated sitting on it. Granted, I’m overly sensitive to that kind of thing (can’t stand tags on shirts either), but I’ve always been pretty skinny so having wallet between a hard chair and a bony butt was uncomfortable.
About 15 years ago I stopped carry a wallet altogether. I keep my cash and regularly used cards in my pocket. The cards I use less than a few times a year are still in my wallet, buried in my center console under a ton of other stuff.

Also, around that same time I stopped carrying a key chain. I’m no longer the first to get to work in the morning and I have an attached garage so I hit the button and I’m in. I still have all my keys in my car and they still get some use, but the only key on me is my car key/fob.

It’s nice going from a key ring with 10+ keys and a full wallet to a single fob, an ID, a few credit cards and a little cash.

Is that hard candy?

Used to be right back pocket, but sitting on it started becoming painful. I now carry it in the left back pocket.

Okay, you have me confused now. To me, “back pocket” and “hip pocket” are the same thing.

My wallet is in my back right pocket, but there’s no money in it. I keep my cash, cards, ID, and other actually important wallet-sized stuff in my phone case (so I can lose all my important stuff at once :wink:).

My wallet just contains old business cards, old insurance cards, and trash. It’s basically there just because it’s always been there. Besides, if it wasn’t, I wouldn’t have anything on the other end of my chain.

I have no idea what you mean by hard candy. Please do explain.

Never have. I have my wallet and Swiss Army knife in my right pocket, and credit card case and keys in my left. Never have been pickpocketed. Someone trying to stick a hand in my front pocket would never get it out again.
Has worked fine for over 50 years. My wife does not like the fit, but I don’t have dents in my butt.

Never have, there’s nothing at all in my back pocket. My very thin wallet goes in a front pocket, my backpack or my coat pocket.

I’ve carried my wallet in my front right pocket for decades. And it’s all thanks to Stephen King.

Specifically, I read a scene in The Stand, when Larry Underwood is walking through a pre-Captain Trips Times Square. King writes that Larry’s long since moved his wallet to his front, to foil pickpockets. Made sense to me then, so I’ve done so ever after.

Occasionally I will put my wallet in my rear pocket; but it always feels uncomfortable and blocky. Mainly, my rear pockets carry change, receipts, and a thin knife.

Rear pocket is for my phone. Automatically take it out whenever I sit.

Wallet in front right, phone in front left. I switched maybe 10 years ago. It was more for security’s sake than comfort.

My wallet was a lot skinnier when I kept it in the back pocket. Reminds me of the ‘problems rich people have’ meme.

So none of you carry a purse? :wink:

I don’t like things in my back pocket because they make my butt sweat. And there was that time my phone was in a back pocket and ended up in the terlit… :open_mouth:

< grunt > Manbag < /grunt >

Sporran. And sgian dhu, lest any bastard tries tae gie me shit aboot it.

Wallet left rear unless I’m going to be in a crowd, then it’s right front with my keys and multitool. Left front is phone. I do take my wallet out if I am going to be driving more than an hour or so at a stretch. If I don’t it torques my spine something fierce.

Keys forward port-side, cash and pocketknife forward starboard. Wallet aft starboard side, and eye drops, chap stick, and shopping list aft port side. Wristwatch on port side, and I handcarry items on the starboard side.

My wallet has always been aft; and I am a creature of habit. I’ve had the same nylon canvas wallet for ~15 years, too.

Tripler
. . . and yes, I still carry cash.