Do you read Kipling's poetry?

Inspired by this thread on interpreting a line from Kipling I wondered, do you read his poetry? If so, what is your favorite work(s) of his?

I’m very sentimental, so I love “The Power of the Dog”

http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/power_of_dog.html

But being female I really relate to this “The Female of the Species”

http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/female_of_species.html

There are many others of course, Kipling wrote a LOT of verse. But if you read him, what do you like?

I can’t say I’ve read a lot of Kipling, but as a raging Anglophile I like his stuff. “Recessional” is particularly good, I think - high-toned British imperialism, but with a tragic awareness that this, too, shall pass:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recessional_(poem)

Honestly, I have small use for poetry, though Kipling is more tolerable than most, probably because I ADORE his prose.

I am fond of The White Man’s Burden, but I probably don’t read and interpret quite the way Kipling intended when he wrote it, which is part of my admiration of the poem. Seen through a revised lens, it can work with a more sarcastic tone.

There are too many to enumerate right now, but the one that I keep coming back to is the obscure To Wolcott Balestier. There’s something about the last stanza that catches my throat every time.

(Balestier and Kipling collaborated on a novel called The Naulahka. He was also the brother of Kipling’s wife, Carrie.)

I love poetry and I do really enjoy Kipling’s. I need to find the one I really love.

But, then the classic old school valentines day card:

‘Do you like Kipling?’

‘I don’t know, I’ve never kippled.’

One that is particularly relevant right now is The Gods of the Copybook Headings.

Yes, I love Kipling. Actually I just re-read one of my favorites a few days ago; Harp Song of the Dane Women.

“What is a woman that you would forsake her to go with the old gray widow-maker?”

I read this at the beginning of The Long Ships, a novel about vikings, of course.

I rather like Kipling’s work. “If” is particularly inspirational, though “The Absent Minded Beggar” and “Tommy” are favourites also.

Really? Even though his conclusion is that women are too savage to be allowed to govern?

Baker will probably be unsurprised to learn that I have read a great deal of Kipling’s prose and poetry alike. MacAndrew’s Hymn is glorious even if I can’t seem to memorise much more than the opening line, “Lord, Thou hast made this world below the shadow of a dream”. The Ballad of East and West, naturally, and I’ll always sing the praises of Gunga Din to anyone who doesn’t get away fast enough - and that’s one that I have got down pat. :cool:

The best riposte to that was The Brown Man’s Burden, by Henry Labouchere, which he composed in 1899 but still reads like it was written last week:

Pile on the brown man’s burden;
And, if ye rouse his hate,
Meet his old-fashioned reasons
With Maxims up to date.
With shells and dumdum bullets
A hundred times made plain
The brown man’s loss must ever
Imply the white man’s gain.

Pile on the brown man’s burden,
compel him to be free;
Let all your manifestoes
Reek with philanthropy.
And if with heathen folly
He dares your will dispute,
Then, in the name of freedom,
Don’t hesitate to shoot.

I’d just like to say that “If” is absolutely my favorite poem of all time, because it describes the kind of person that I aspire to be.

We own a book of all his poems. My favorite is “The Sons of Martha”, about engineers (both kinds).

“The Ballad of East and West”

“Soldier an’ Sailor Too”

He’s my favourite poet, even if he’s not the author of my favourite poem.

That’s not how I interpreted the poem. The meaning I took is that the female of the species, (especially our own), is harder and more practical than the male, because she has the important mission of ensuring the safety of her offspring. She’ll do anything to protect them. Our men know this but by culture don’t want to admit to the fact they’re just a little scared of us. Thus they try to push us into the background, but still can’t conceal our power.

Isn’t poetry great? Better than prose, IMNSHO, for expressing certain ideas, but it can be, I admit, more open to different interpretations.

My Boy Jack, written for his son who didn’t make it home from the trenches tears me right up.
“When d’you think that he’ll come back?”
Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.*

I don’t care for most poetry. I like a very few poets, and Kipling is one of them. Yes, he was racist and sexist. And he could write, both prose and poetry.

There was later a play based on the poem, and then a movie based on the play: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Boy_Jack_(film)

My students have to do a project around “The Young British Soldier,” “Gunga Din” and “Tommy” when we get to Imperialism.

Leslie Fish has put a bunch of his poems to music. She’s got no kind of voice, but it all works. I have Cold Iron on tape, and I’m considering getting it on CD, along with Our Fathers of Old (which I see has a setting of Recessional).