Do you salt the food before tasting it?

Not usually. Except for the one place that my boss likes, where the food is amazingly bland. Usually I taste it, then add salt and pepper as needed.

No; I hardly add salt to anything at all; not even the water in which I cook pasta or vegetables. If I feel the recipe depends on it, I will put it in.

I will very occasionally add salt and vinegar to my chips (fries), but I prefer them without. I buy salt-n-shake crisps (chips) and throw away the little blue bag. I really like the earthy taste of potatoes without salt.

Oddly enough, I do like Marmite, which is very salty.

I do like black pepper and I will add this copiously to anything, before tasting, but in my opinion, there really isn’t any such thing as ‘too much’ black pepper.

actually, i use NoSalt. a potassium based salt substitute. cant taste the difference. also, heavily pepper. not black, CAYENNE!!! ;j

I don’t salt even after tasting. I actually bought salt once because most of my bread machine recipes call for it. I figure I’ve used about 1 cup of it in 5 years. I only use it for cooking and never put it out with a meal.
My fiancee’s mother gave us a small shaker of salt almost 4 years ago when we moved in to our condo (I’m not sure why). It’s been used once - by my sister. It took me 15 minutes to find the damn thing.

I crave salt once a month. I’m sure you can guess when. At that time, I eat Saltines.

I absolutely NEVER salt before tasting, and I rarely salt at all. I use it when I cook, and I taste-test as I cook, so it infuriates me when my SO sits down at the table and salts everything before tasting.

So I mention to him that it’s rude to the cook (me) to salt indiscriminately, and he mentions that it drives him crazy when I tell him that. Eh, if that’s our biggest dispute, we’ll deal. :slight_smile:

I think I agree with him :). If he knows the level of salt you like in your food, and he knows that he likes food saltier, then it seems a reasonable compromise for him to salt the food when he gets it, rather than asking you to make the food saltier. Telling you that he has different salt preferences in food isn’t insulting your cooking.

Daniel

I never salt my food prior to tasting, as opposed to my father who always salts his food prior to tasting. That’s why he’s not allowed to cook, he’ll put so much salt in the food, that it’s inedible for the rest of the family.

I usually only salt my food before tasting if a recipe calls for a specific amount of salt. If what I’m making is more of a “just-throw-all-the-food-together-and-see-what-happens” dish, then I might toss in a little bit of salt, but I’d rather add too little than too much. It’s really easy to ruin a dish with too much salt.

I never salt food ever. Not even when cooking.

I do, however, put some freshly ground black pepper on pretty much everything I eat.

In public I never salt my food before tasting it, even though in most cases I know it needs it (no food ever has enough salt for me).

At home with just the boyfriend and me, I shake that salt shaker to Kingdom Come, baby!

I salt my food about 3 times a year, literally, and never before I’ve tasted it. How do I know that it needs salt until I’ve tasted it? I’m not psychic.

I cook a lot. I usually add enough salt to my recipes so that I know I don’t need to salt, but my wife salts my cooking. Not offended – some people need more salt to garner its benefits.

When eating out or at another person’s house, I’ll taste first. Some people/cooks do add enough salt for my taste. Some don’t.

IMHO, it’s presumptuous of a host/chef to think he’s salted the dish enough for everyone’s liking. There should always be salt.

Never. Not only that, but I rarely salt food at all, even after tasting. Scrambled eggs, potato products, popcorn, and corn on the cob. Nothing else, to me, needs salt.

I don’t know of many eating establishments or homes where I’ve eaten where there were not condiments appropriate to the food being served. This is especially true since many hosts, mindful of the low salt tolerance of some guests, will usually ‘bland up’ their recipes, knowing that it is easier to add salt than subtract it.

However, it’s very rude (IMO) to salt prepared food (not talking tomato slices) before tasting. There’s an implicit statement of ‘I already know that you’ve not met my expectations’ when you do this.
It’s one of the points that I am sure to drill into people when I do my etiquette seminars.

-stonebow, professional party planner and semi-professional etiquette consultant

Because I am a salt fiend, I never add salt when cooking and therefore KNOW everything requires salt at my house.

As far as adding it elsewhere it all depends where I am. If I’m at a resturant I will gladly salt away. I paid for it and I “KNOW” it needs salt without tasting it. At my mums, salt city, without tasting. She’s been nagging me for years she hardly notices anymore.

Anyone elses home cooking? Well I “KNOW” it needs salt but I would always taste first and if the salt wasn’t on the table I wouldn’t ask for it. I was bought up to believe you eat every scrap off your plate if you are a visitor. So I would eat it all and just think how much better it would be with salt.

I may very well turn into a big salt crystal oneday.

I’ve been to restaurants where its not on the table.

Probably not people’s houses.

I think it could just as easily be argued that tasting your food, then putting the fork down and reaching for the salt could be interpreted as an insulting gesture. But then again, I have to confess to a not a little disdain for formalised systems of etiquette - it seems to me that these have outgrown their roles of eliminating embarassing social awkwardness and are now more often used to create just such a condition.

Dude, you trying to put me out of work or something? People pay good money to listen to me call them savages, and offer up ways that they can lift themselves from the muck that is their uncultured lives.

Seriously, most etiquette is based on common sense. While one could argue that salting food at all is rude, it seems to me that salting after having tasted is the perfect compromise between a guest’s comfort and a host’s dignity.