Do you still get a subscription newspaper delivered?

I get the New York Times every day, and the San Jose Mercury News Sunday only (for like 25 cents a week.)
Given what has been going on I feel the Times subscription not only gives me the news and lots of stories and features I don’t get anywhere else, but supports a worthy cause.
I spend more than enough screen time already, and I like reading it in my living room without the need for electronics.
Plus I do the crossword puzzle and Ken Ken every day, and my screen just doesn’t hold the graphite in my pencil.
I’ve been reading at the Times for almost 60 years now.

Yes, though I’m about to cancel it.

I’ve had a subscription to the Chicago Tribune since I moved to Chicago, in 1989. It was my morning train ride reading for most of the past 30 years.

The easy access to online news has made a paper less necessary, and I’m only taking the train 2-3 days a week now. On days I work from home, I rarely bother to even read it. It’s still a good paper (though it’s seemed to have become thinner, with fewer meaty articles), but I just don’t read it anymore.

I didn’t vote because there was clearly no option that fit me.

It’s just that your word “still” (let’s compare past and present situations) sits oddly with your actual poll (let’s take an uncompared snapshot of right now)

What are you actually trying to find out - snapshot or comparison?

Haven’t gotten a newspaper delivered in decades.

I do, however, have a source for free, old, bundled newspapers. We use them for birdcages, mulch, etc.

More snapshot. Never subscribed should be a no vote.

We get the Sunday New York Times because delivery+digital is only 50 cents more than digital-only. We sometimes don’t bother to open the print edition, but it comes in useful when there’s painting to be done.

It’s been over 10 years since I’ve gotten either the San Francisco Chronicle or the San Jose Mercury News. More recently I’d occasionally buy the day’s paper at a machine or store and enjoy reading it, irregularly, or at an airport before getting on a flight, but even that I haven’t done in the last 3 years.

It’s all laptop, tablet and phone now.

I did up until about 2 years ago. I like having the newspaper in the morning, especially Sunday, but the Chicago Tribune was infuriating me with their billing practices so I cancelled it.

Mrs. FtG loves her paper. Spends a lot of time reading it, checking out the ads. (One major drug store has stopped putting a circular in the paper each Sunday, to her annoyance. Another sign of the times though.)

I only access it online (free with the hardcopy sub) for things like puzzles. So I could do without.

The price keeps jumping noticeably each year while the paper gets smaller. So the cost/page is getting really bad.

Plus other cutbacks. The sports section no longer reports local scores for games in the evening. Everyone has already gone home.

They also farmed out their customer service to a horrible company. Why was the paper late? The delivery guy was in a car crash. Nevermind that I haven’t actually told them where I live or anything. Magic! (I’ve tried this with a phone not tied to our account.) There’s a poll system after your call. Just hang on after the rep hangs up to answer it. Guess what? They don’t hang up! They just stay on the line, occasionally asking you if you’re going to hang up. I wonder why they do that.:mad:

Worst of all, you can’t call/email the paper and complain about the terrible customer service since it all goes to their contractor and into the memory hole.

I gave up on the local paper, The San Jose Merc, a few years ago. I used to get it delivered every day. Oddly, they still give my the Sunday paper, which I don’t pay for and which usually goes straight into the recycle bin. But I still get the Sunday NYT, which I have been doing for about 40 years. I will probably keep that going until the day I die, provided it’s still around. “People are saying” that it’s failing. :wink:

There is no delivery of anything where I live. But I do read the local daily paper every day at work. It’s free, and in an odd way delivered because one of the guys picks up a few every day a passes them around one to each department (this just means I don’t have to go outside to pick it out of the box)

I’m a recovering newspaper addict who quit nearly 20 years ago when the local paper turned into 6 pages of info from USA Today plus ads, and the option of getting more prestigious/voluminous newspapers delivered to my mailbox was no longer offered in my area.

Previously I got as many as 2 different daily papers plus the Sunday NYT.

Sunday wapo, but I only started about two years ago.

This pestilence has afflicted so many local papers.

I recently got ahold of the Mount Desert Islander (out of Bar Harbor, ME.) It is beautiful.

“Boater thrown into sound, CG lassoes Boston Whaler”
“Buoy bell thieves range along Maine coast”

I nearly cried.

This basically describes what the Cincinnati Enquirer turned into years ago.

Of other major Ohio newspapers, the Columbus Dispatch shrank in size a few years back and is gradually losing content. The best remaining paper (still full-size, for how long?) is the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

From 7 days a week up until a few years ago. Now GR Press delivered 3 days a week with a digital sub included. I dropped the delivery😢 now pay 1.99/ wk for 7 day digital delivery. No one seems to miss the paper except Fir wrapping up garbage and lining the trash can and placemat for kitty dishes.

SO needs the crossword so I print puzzles and hidato for me.

I still get the local paper delivered every day, for a few reasons. Its local coverage, while not great, is still miles better than any other source I’ve found.

And I’ve discovered something interesting: it’s actually more efficient to read the news on paper than on the internet. I’m a fast reader, and I can read three articles on paper in the time it takes one article to load on my browser.

Yes, I’m old.

I have always submitted that interacting with physical paper for information is more efficient than using an online source, unless you are doing a google type search. I find this to be true with books, business reports, newspapers, magazines. It is a different experience entirely. Many go-to news websites are so full of banners, popups, sidebars, auto-play videos, and intrusive ads, etc., that the damn things are unreadable.

I get Baron’s on Saturday morning and the Chicago Tribune on Sunday mornings.

63 years old - never had a paper delivered.