Do you still get a subscription newspaper delivered?

Do you still get a subscription newspaper delivered? (Not a free circular type)

Just wondering how many people still choose to get a paper. Clearly we’re all using the Internet and so I kind of expect the percentage to be low.

Comment please on when you stopped.

I stopped back around 2002. The Asbury Park Press at the tine couldn’t make deliveries early as promised (by 7am) and I saw no reason to continue at that point. Plus Gannett was buying them out and I assumed (correctly) the quality of the paper was about to nose dive.

We still get the local paper. While it’s published every day, delivery is only four days a week.

What’s this “still”?

I read the dead-tree version of the local paper as much as I ever did[sup]*[/sup]. And I read it the same way as I’ve always done - one of the local coffee shop’s papers, while drinking a cup of coffee. I’ve never had a subscription anything. Waste of trees.

I do read a lot MORE news than I used to, however, since I supplement with other online newspapers that I now have access to.

[sup]*[/sup]OK, slightly less in the last 6 months because I’ve been busier, but I expect this to go back to normal levels again after I’ve finished studying

I get our local paper which is published only 6 days of the week (no Sundays and we get the Sunday funnies on Saturdays). In addition I get the Times delivered every day (except Dec. 25 which comes with the Dec. 26 paper). I will do it till I die (or go blind).

You might have voted incorrectly then, the poll is about subscription deliveries, not reading the paper. Or you might no have voted at all.

Well yes and no. In May, the CT Post gave me a free trial subscription. I canceled as the free period ended in June, and they verified the cancellation by email. But we still get it delivered most days. It’s about the same frequency as when the subscription was live. We live on a busy pedestrian street and have a long drive. I think someone takes the paper about twice a week on average.

Yep. I’m old.

I still like going out to breakfast and leisurely reading a paper spread out over the table. Also if it wasn’t for me the other old people wouldn’t get to see one at work( I’m the last of them to maintain a subscription ). I fully expect them to be unavailable in a decade or less.

Where I live, we don’t have a town newspaper. There is The Quad County Star, published… somewhere near here, and you can pick it up for free at the grocery store. It’s basically recipes, devotional messages from area pastors, obituaries, that sort of thing. We also have a local Penny Saver-type thing that comes in the mail, but we never asked for it.

The online version is unsatisfactory and kludgey. Also, you can’t get just the digital edition.

Recently we went from subscribing to our local paper 7 days a week to just on weekends. It was getting ridiculously expensive and declining in size/quality at the same time.

We have a national paper delivered the other five days of the week.

I’ve never subscribed to a newspaper.

Every morning about 6:30 I get out of bed, gather the newspaper from the driveway, make a cup of coffee, and sit on the living room floor and read the newspaper spread out on the coffee table. My cat Spooky always joins me for some purring and petting. It’s our special time together. I read the news, do some of the word puzzles, and finish my coffee. By 7:30 the rest of the household is getting up. That hour with my cat, the paper, and a cup of coffee is one of the best parts of the day.

At one point, we had 3 papers delivered:

Toronto Star, daily
Globe and Mail, M-S (no paper published Sunday)
New York Times, daily

I think I cancelled the last dead-tree paper about 6 years ago. I was tired of opening the door and finding out that the paper had not been delivered yet, and sometimes would never come in spite of calling the circulation department again.

Sure do, and no intention of stopping. It’s like the comparison between a Kindle and a dead-tree book, as in there is none.

I do the crossword puzzle and Wonderword puzzle every day, so that way I get my money’s worth, in addition to clipping coupons that interest me. I actually take them to the store with me and use them, too.

Used to get it every day for nearly 25years. Always enjoyed reading it, and having articles to refer back to.

Then about five years ago, First, the ad-to-news ratio just became abysmal. One small story on a page, to 95% ads. Second, news shifted from facts-based to opinion-based, and the quality of the journalism slid down to the ground. Finally, they reduced the size and amount of the comics.

I now get it on Sundays only, as I enjoy reading it on Sunday mornings as I sit in the sunlight and sip juice. But its getting to the point where the facts in the paper are dwindling, and the gossip or biased viewpoints are too egregious, and its not bringing me any joy anymore.

Relevant and amusing tale:

My sister recently retired. Her husband had retired several years earlier. On her first morning of retirement, she said, “so can we get that garage cleaned out this morning?”

He replied, “you don’t understand. I spend the first 3 hours of my day reading newspapers”.
mmm

No, I do not get our local rag delivered. I really would like to because I love reading a real paper while eating breakfast. It would also help to keep a small town paper alive. Unfortunately, even though they say that delivery will be by 6am, the local delivery person never goes through my neighborhood until almost 7am. Even though I would prefer it earlier, I could live with six o’clock, but by seven the breakfast dishes are long done and I’m busy going about my day.

Yup. Two 7 days a week, one additional on Wed. and Sun.

I can’t remember the last time I had a newspaper subscription. I do seem to recall that the paper was often recycled unread…

My wife has a free subscription at work which she transferred to our home, so I get the New York Times delivered M-F. On Saturdays and Sundays I walk a half-block to the Avenue and buy it at a newsstand.

I sit at the kitchen table and alternate between the newspaper and the internet news while drinking strong tea and rubbing the poodles.

When I visit family in Chicago or Cleveland I try to read the dead tree Tribune and the Plain Dealer, but there’s so little information in them I get discouraged.