Doctor/Patient Confidentiality

So, it’s real nice that you’re concerned about your girlfriend’s cough, but what are you planning to do to help her with that nasty little drug habit!!!

Damn it!! I’m back again!
What is this petty shit about mommy and daddy finding out about the drugs!!?
Are we forgetting the people we have all known, or at least heard about who have OD’d and KILLED THEMSELVES? Maybe she’ll just end up getting her drivers license and getting into a car accident, killing some innocent people. Maybe she’ll break her neck and be a quad for the rest of her life. Maybe there is an underlying depression that needs to be treated so she doesn’t end up committing suicide someday! HELLO!!! Makes bronchitis sound like a walk in the park, huh? She is young and clearly doesn’t have her priorities straight. I know the immediatel concern would be the cough, and yes it should be addressed. What I don’t understand is, when I was 15-16 years old, and got sick–my parents took me to the doctor-no questions asked!!

Where are her parents, and why aren’t they on this? a freshman in highschool on the road to a drug problem. Bad start. You’ve bit off more than you can chew, my friend, YOU need to talk to someone (Medical maybe) for some advice on how to handle her, and,( I’m guessing so don’t be offended if i’m wrong) your drug tendancies.
You don’t want to be saying later, “IF only…”

IANAD or AL, but I do work with medical records, and have significant knowledge of release of records.

Drug use generally falls under the “psychiatric” category. These records come under a MUCH higher standard for release than do non-psych records. I can’t even get my own psych records without explaining why I want them, as well as proof of identity.

It is true that insurance companies can have access to these records, but most payers won’t request them without a good reason as a matter of course. Good reasons generally include suspected fraud, questionable diagnosis or procedure, or if the patient (or therapist) is requesting authorization for further visits; the insurance company has the right to request records to determine the “progress” of the patient to see if further visits are warranted. Under no circumstances can the payer request records just to see what they say. Further, under most group policies, payers can’t discriminate for coverage on the basis of any pre-existing condition.

Also, if your girlfriend is showing physical signs of drug use, the doctor may do a drug screen. She is within her rights to refuse the screen if she so chooses, but that may confirm the doctor’s suspicion.

If she’s that worried about it, the best solution may be to go to a different doctor, and pay cash.

Robin

To Fariy Princess Kitty

Good for you being on the pill and protecting yourself and planning responsibly for your future!
To answer your question, nothing will show up on your urine test to indicate you are on the pill, if that’s what you are asking.

Most doctors will not deny you the opportunity to be alone with them at your appt. I guess the biggest challenge there will be with your mom–maybe you should talk to her before you get to the office about wanting to go it alone with the doctor. Your mom will want to talk to the doctor about your Kidney tests and any follow ups the doctor has planned though, so it might be less complicated to have her in there with you. You can always call the doctor anytime you want to discuss any questions you have that you cant’ talk about w/ mom around. The nurse at the office may even be able to help you if you don’t have time to wait around for the doctor to call you back.

At the risk of sounding like a mother myself, don’t let the pill lull you into a false sense of security, you still need protection against AIDS,STD’s etc. with those nasty little condom thingies!!
:slight_smile:

Also if she ever files a suit in a personal injury case, this is going to come up. You would be amazed what is discoverable in these cases. If it is a lung infection, would it make a difference to the doctor whether the infection is caused by cigarette smoking or pot smoking?

Is she smokeing cheep pot? Low grade weed is stored in warehouses for months and not kept at proper humidity or tempiture conditions. Does her weed have an amonia smell? If so it is probably moldy, and this can cause a persistent cough. If you can’t get her to quit try to get her to smoke better pot it cost more but you use less so it breaks even. And takeing in less burnt plant is always a good thing. She should absolutly stop useing X. I have had many friends who have used for a long time and they are not the same. Don’t beleve the hipe that we where given back in the 80’s that it’s safe, it’s not. I’m just glad that I was smart enough not to trust man made drugs. I know that you and her think that you are all grown up but you should realy wait a few years before useing marijuana, your only young once don’t ruin it, there will be plenty of time to screw up your life later.

Don’t worry on that count, the pill is kinda the back up plan in case the condom ever decided to break. :eek: No way in hell I’m doing anything without a condom. I’m going to a disgustingly competitive high school and I’m not about to throw away the past three years of my life by getting pregnant and having to drop out.
I’m also in a monogamous relationship and we were both virgins beforehand. So yeah, I may be having sex but I’m trying to get this as low risk as I possibly can.

Thank you so much Nevermind

Kitty

[snear at the right wing wacko]
Lots of self destructive behavior is going on here. I understand it’s typical kids nowaways. I saw some way back then, myself. But I was a loser-nerdy type and never figured out why people were doing that stuff. I have seen some of the results, though.

What your mommy said, or should have said, is that you avoid drugs because they’re bad for you. It’s obvious this child is a mess and that Shapiers should get the heck away from her. He hasn’t the sense of a goose or he would have turned her in and gotten her the help she needs and he can’t provide. And get away from her. She’s bad news.

And Princess figures she’s so mature and clever to be a pretend adult with none of the consequences. She’s being used. She’s a free whore. It’s going to hurt. Here’s why.

Our minds and bodies are designed to form attachments long enough to raise a child to reproductive age. We have emotional tendrals designed to engage like a bear trap during affectionate sex. To engage this trap too early means it has to be broken apart, which damages the tendrals. Those nerdy types, like me, who couldn’t get a date for months at a time, wound up married to another inexperienced type. After 30+ years our tendrals are fused the way they were meant to be fused.

It’s really neat.

[\sneer at the right wing wacko]

JSleek:

What exactly are you trying to say? It’s always an emotional risk at ANY age to become involved with someone. What exactly is “too early”? It sounds to me like PRINCESS K is aware of the consequences/potential consequences. Ease up! She isn’t sleeping around it sounds like and she is using double protection!
You sound like you think people who didn’t take the course you did are all going to end up being damaged goods.
Congratulations on your happy and fullfilling union with tendral person. But you shouldn’t be calling people whores.

Just out of curiosity are nurses covered by doctor/patient privledge or are they free to bald to whomever they please.

[OT]
All I hear from jsleek’s rant is a nerd who’s unhappy he didn’t get some when he was younger. No need to be a spoil-sport for everyone else. It’s Kitty’s life let her live it her way.
[/OT]

Errp…that should be “blab”.

Sorry…

WHACKaMOLE

Good question. Nurses are obiliged to maintain pt confidentiality.
No Blabbing allowed!!

ALL medical workers are required to maintain confidentiality. It doesn’t matter if it’s a doctor, a nurse or a janitor. If ANYONE blabs, the employer (doctor or hospital) is ultimately responsible.

Robin

As a Lab Tech I’ll emphatically second what MsRobyn said, ALL medical employees are bound by confidentiality and it is taken very seriously by the facilities I’ve been at.

There are, um, some interesting opinions in this thread.

Which would be fascinating, if this were the forum for opinions.

But it’s not!.

Please stick to the facts.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

I am an RN and I work on a med - surg floor that is where all patients come to (usually voluntarily) detox. I have worked in other hospitals as well and every where I have ever been confidentiality is a major issue. No names are posted where they can be viewed by the general public, all charts are kept at the desk, except for the bedside stuff-(nurses notes, vitals signs, med sheets) and those are kept in a lockable wall rack in the hall. Any piece of paper that has a patients name on it is put in a confidential box to be shredded. During my shift my clipboard with the daily assignment sheets is to be kept on my person at all times and those sheets are also shredded at the end of the shift. It is a serious infraction to leave your clipboard laying around where some prying eyes can peek at them. Even syringes used for medications and iv bags with names on them are disposed in a confidental manner.

Even if you know your sibling/cousin/parent/grandparent uses every drug in the book and even if you brought them to the hospital to check in, I will not discuss their treatment or even the reason for admission with you unless you have a durable power of attorney or married to them and then that’s a maybe.

Yes I know you are concerned for them and love them and want to help them but, no I will not discuss their treatment with you.

The patient is free to discuss his/her treatment with you but I will not. Neither will any of my colleagues or the attending physican.

As an aside, I try not to discuss any patients by their names if at all possible. For example I will ask the tech to get 6672a a cup of coffee please, or 3308b needs some bathroom help. No matter where you are-ie the elevator, lunchroom, restroom, smoking area etc. there may be someone who recognizes the name. I don’t discuss my patients when I go home either.

Fariy Princess Kitty,

glad to see you are taking care of these responsibilities. I’d like to second and agree with all that **Nevermind[/ib] said to you.

and hey jsleek,

You sir, are a KNOB ! :mad:
[quiote]minds and bodies are designed to form attachments long enough to raise a child to reproductive age. We have emotional tendrals designed to engage like a bear trap during affectionate sex. To engage this trap too early means it has to be broken apart, which damages the tendrals. Those nerdy types, like me, who couldn’t get a date for months at a time, wound up married to another inexperienced type. After 30+ years our tendrals are fused the way they were meant to be fused.
[/quote]

:rolleyes:

There is a stench coming from this pile that you could build time-shares on.

Seeing as how we are in GQ, a place (as Manny noted) for sticking to FACTS, how’s about you either back up this heaping pile of dreck with some proof, or shut up.

And please keep in mind…

A closed mouth
Gathers no foot

Shpaiers… get her to the doctor, and try to find out WHY she feels she needs the ecstasy, if you can sort that out she probably won’t want to take it any more.

and before you say i’m naive, i’m 20 years old and most of my friends take, or have taken drugs (hard and soft). for most of them, when they get through the teenage angst or the family trouble, or the exam stress, or whatever, they stop taking the drugs because they no longer feel the need.

for the others, they keep their drug use to recreational weekend use or occasional treats, and all of them stick to hash.
it’s part of the teenage rebellion, and only a problem if she decides to get high at school, alone or in a situation where she could be in danger or a danger to others (eg at a party where she could get raped, or before driving)

and as for leaving her or whatever that advice was, ignore it. she needs a guy like you to look after her and support her. you obviously are both responsible and caring, and a good guy.

frankly, i can’t imagine her physician will care too much as long as they don’t see her again in rehab or with something worse than bronchitis.
Fairy Princess Kitty- you’re 16, why don’t you suggest to your mother that you would like to take responsibility for your own healthcare, and that you feel it would be empowering for you to see the doc on your own?
doesn’t hurt her feelings, makes sense, and doesn’t suggest you have something to hide.

both you and angel do not have to disclose anything to your physicians unless you want to (although i’d recommend it) and neither of the physicians can disclose to your parent’s without your permission.

Ditto on confidentiality for EMS personell and Firefighters. I do know that we would always report any signs of potential illegal drug use to the hospital when we brought in the patient. Since we often get to see things the ER staff would not around the patients home or location when we picked them up (syringes, cocaine still broken out on mirrors, roach clips complete w/roach, etc. We do not however customarily report such things to the police. We would prefer that people were willing to call an ambulance for thier OD’d friend rather than be scared shitless of being busted by the ambulance crew.