Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (open spoilers)

Nitpick: “Chavez”

Sorry. I warned you about my memory, though.

Note to self: always check before you post.

I would like to see it done like this:

I feel there is a deeper plot going on here. We’ve repeatedly seen the MCU version of Dr Strange has a serious personality flaw; he can’t resist turning to the dark side. He has a streak of arrogance that leads him to tell himself that he can stay in control of things (and often finds he can’t).

I feel this was the basis of the Book of Vishanti and the Darkhold; these two books were presented as good and evil. And in the climax of the movie, Strange chose to use the evil book. (I think it’s worth noting that it was Wanda, not Strange, who chose to destroy the Darhold.)

My speculation is we’re going to see future examples of Dr Strange dabbling in magic he shouldn’t be playing with and this might be what propels the story along. We saw a similar narrative regarding Tony Stark and technology.

You were probably thinking of the actress, Xochitl Gomez, who played the character.

Thanks for the save. You’re undoubtedly right.

I always think Abigail Nussbaum of Asking the Wrong Questions has interesting takes on the MCU.

And then there’s this:

He could maybe have given him one of those Payaton bikes?

Listened to a good review of the movie over the weekend (Talk From Superheroes podcast) and they had some good points: one, Wanda is now irredeemable as a good guy, isn’t she? She has done Villain Stuff. How can they sweep that under the rug? And the plot of this film is very similar to Spiderverse. Thirdly, we don’t really learn anything about America as a person. Strange is also apparently quite chill with the third eye, too, and Clea showing up could have been done in a thousand better ways.

I did like Evil Strange and would love to see him come back, and the part where Wanda hijacks her other self was genuinely unsettling.

Others in the MCU have been redeemed after doing Villain Stuff - Nebula, Loki, Black Widow…

True. I’d argue we never really saw Nebula herself do anything villainous onscreen, but I’d agree with the rest. I pity Hijacked Wanda, though-hopefully she doesn’t remember anything 616 Wanda did in her body, but I suspect she does. That’s going to really taint her mind.

She needs at least one movie of a redemption arc before I’d buy her as an Avenger except in desperate circumstances, though I know it’s not up to me. And Krazinsky was a good pick as Reed Richards-give the fans what they want and if you want someone else as 616 Reed, you’re free to do so.

It was pretty damn obvious what Ronan meant by her “cleansing” the Kyln.

Dangit. I hang up my geek hat in shame. I didn’t pay close attention during that section.

What is it about Marvel villains and their motivations? Wanda kills off multiverses because she’s sad that she doesn’t have kids. Thanos kills half of all life as a present to Lady Death - who was going to get them all anyway.

Next: Doctor Doom slaughters all trees in the multiverses because he’s given an Impossible Burger instead of a Whopper. The Guardians of the Galaxy reband to avenge Groot. Cameo by Man-Thing to set up a new series on Disney+.

Post-credit scene: Seeds. Seeds. Seeds!

Dumb question, probably the result of not remembering Endgame very well. If Wanda is that much of a badass, why didn’t she just kick Thanos’s ass early on?

She did - right up until Thanos had his ship ‘rain fire’ on him/her.

She also held Thanos off while she destroyed the mind gem in Vision, so yes, even in that movie she was shown to be a badass. In the MCU she had not fully realized to what extent she was powerful until the events of Wanda Vision when she was dealing with her grief. This is similar to what happened in the comics where she had a mental breakdown and essentially rewrote all of reality.

//i\\

Finally saw it…and for me the most touching part (And a part i haven’t seen anyone touch on!!) was the end where Strange and Wong admit they arn’t happy, but at least they have each other to make things better.

Awwwww…

I watched it yesterday on Disney+. Better than I expected, but a little too long overall.

America Chavez was more of a plot device than a character. I would have liked to have seen more about her. But I have to wonder if she’ll join some iteration of the Young Avengers alongside Kate Bishop and Yelina Belova (alongside Cassie “Stature” Lang, Iron Lad, Wiccan, Speed, et al. And, personally, I’d like to see Squirrel Girl, too).