Doctor-types, I really need some support (NOT medical advice)

During my pathology residency, there was an internal medicine resident who had become disenchanted with her program and was thinking about switching to pathology. So she was given permission for a brief “tryout” with the path program.

It took only a few weeks for her to decide that wow, internal medicine didn’t look so bad after all (I think being on the autopsy rotation with me and getting to help with her first post-mortem bowel cleanout may have been the deciding factor).

So maybe spending a little time with the path residents is just what the O.P. needs for a new perspective. :slight_smile:

I don’t have much to offer you except support on the medical profession side of things (and you have lots of good Dopers already doing that), but I don’t think this assessment is the final word. That’s like saying, “I’m bad at math!” and throwing up your hands and not making an effort to get better.

What is making you disorganized? Do you have all the materials you need to organize things at all times? Do you need some kind of electronic device that will give you auditory and visual reminders? Do you need to have a pen and paper in your hand at all times to write EVERYTHING down? That’s what I need at work - I can’t remember shit anymore, so when someone starts giving me instructions, I say, “Hold on, let me get a pen and paper” because I know I will forget if it isn’t written down. Do you need a system that will work for all the stuff you need to keep track of? Do you need a big calendar on your wall that you can take in at a glance? Do you need to make lists? That helps me a lot when I’m feeling overwhelmed, and it feels like I have 15 things going on at once and I can’t keep track of it all.

There’s no right or wrong way to organize what you need organized, as long as the system is working for you. “Inherently disorganized” just means that you haven’t done a lot of work on getting better at it, in my opinion. :slight_smile: