Does absence make your heart grow fonder or..

Is are you generally an “out of sight, out of mind” type person when it comes to being separated from loved ones?

It’s the latter for me. It’s not that I don’t love my friends and family, and want them to be safe, but I don’t miss people with the intensity that others seem to. It does make me feel sort of bad sometimes. If someone seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, I’ll check to make sure they’re okay, but don’t have much trouble going long periods of time without interacting with them. Not that I’d pass up an opportunity to see them, but if it falls through, well… I don’t really get homesick either. It takes a lot of effort for me to stay in contact with people.

What about you?

Yes, I don’t see family and friends that often. I agnoize over the fact that I don’t stay in contact with most of my family, but geez, you gotta have a life. I concentrate on trying to see my one remaining grandmother at least once a month or so, I’m doing good to make it that often.

It depends on who’s absent. I love my family, but I don’t think I love them any more for being half a country away. But I seriously miss my wife if she’s gone for a couple of days (the first night is nice, but then it gets lonely).

It changes over time. Early on, it’s miss 'em a lot. But after a certain point, it begins to fade.

It’s one thing if you’ve got a nice family, and you miss being away from them. But if you don’t have a nice family and you went far away from them to save your sanity, that’s another. I miss having a family, but I do not miss their drama and other negative qualities one bit. If it takes staying a thousand miles away from them to continue my new, happy, drama-free life, that’s how it’s gonna be.

I’ve heard that absinthe makes the fart go “honda.”

I’m the exact same way as the OP. Sometimes this bothers people I’m close to, but a lot of my college friends are the same way–in particular, probably three of my five best friends are people I only see once every 2-3 years.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder
Until she meets some-one over yonder

Not only is that me, according to family stories, I’ve been that way since I was four. A possible exception is that I got attatched to my children and keyed into looking after them. No problem with the empty nest, though.

I’m also introverted. Would the two things tend to go together?

I’m like you, Omega. I currently have no friends because all my old ones went away and I have no replacements yet (it doesn’t worry or bother me - friends come and go in my life). I love email, because I can keep in touch much better that way when it’s easy, convenient, and on my terms. I keep in touch with family more (they’re family - they’re always tracking me down).

My husband I miss, though. He’s about the only person I know whose company I can stand for days in a row.

Depends on the relationship and the duration. With that Special Someone, absence will make the heart grow fonder - up to a point. Then it becomes easier to be alone.

Nothing makes me more appreciative of the folks I have in my life than being away. Which is why I feel like I ought to make it a point to get out there on my own fairly frequently–never want to take for granted what I have, and I never appreciated my home or my family so much until I lived in a completely foreign environment for the summer.