Does any language have a word for this?

Inspired by this thread which contains a link to this site.

Is there a real word for “droitwich” in any language?

I’m looking at you, German.

Hmm, I’m thinking that a better way to phrase that may have been:

Is there a word in any language that means the same thing as “droitwich”?

I don’t know about a single English word for droitwich but the phrase I’ve always used is The Concrete Quadrille.

German: Gehendertanzdesverlegenheitflures.
(I made that up.)

Well, according to Cecil himself, it’s an “awkstep”.

The Pavement Pavane?
The Sidewalk Shuffle?
The Walkway Waltz?

The Corridor Cakewalk?
The Hallway Hotstep?

Nah. It’s not long enough for a German word. :slight_smile:

Thanks for this. I think I’m going to go with “avoidancing”. I was really hoping there’d be something in German or Norwegian or Icelandic though. Those guys have a word for everything.

Wow. Following tanstaafl’s link I see I picked up the term Concrete Quadrille from The Master himself while I still was in college. I could never have guessed where I picked it up and thus a small bit of personal ignorance is vanquished.

Thank you very much for that link! The first word that popped into my head was “shuggleftulation” and I was wondering where the hell that came from!