Does Anybody Smoke Pipes Anymore?

I smoked one back in college, and I might have continued with it, but I am a fan of aromatics, and so just storing the tobacco smelled up the room. I don’t have a room in my house I’m willing to give over to the smell of pipe tobacco. Plus, the asthma and family history of cancer augur against it.

The very first time I ever smoked my pipe, it really knocked me for a loop – I was walking down the sidewalk and I found it impossible to put one foot in front of the other, something that never happened to me with booze or even weed, the few times I’ve partaken of that. But only the first time. Once it became a regular thing, I used to smoke up on the roof of our fraternity house. Months later I was up there with my friend Pat when I got a phone call. Instead of going through the rigmarole of extinguishing the pipe (esp. since there was no smoking in the house), I let Pat take over.

Ten minutes later, as my phone call finishes up, I remember what happened to me the first time I smoked. But I wasn’t on the roof of a three story building at the time. I raced upstairs to find Pat standing inside, but as I approached, he looked at me with dinner plates for eyes and said “I almost fell off the roof!” Probably a less funny story if he hadn’t managed to catch himself.

–Cliffy

Ah yes. Fair enough.

Cool. I often look at Scandpipes but most of their stuff is soooo expensive. - many of them approach 1000 USD.
If you want to see some really nice Danish pipes - go to danishpipemakers - some of the pipes look amazing. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to afford one, though. :frowning:

Danish pipes are really “in” right now. I have a Nording and a Bjarne Nielsen and the both are fantastic. But for the money, I think that Johs pipes are the best kept secret in Danish pipe carving. They are amazingly well made hand carved pipes that sell for about the same price as a Stanwell.

My husband has smoked pipes for over 30 years, but since it’s pretty difficult to find a place in public that will let you smoke them, I’m not surprised you haven’t seen anyone. He mostly smokes out on the deck, although he will smoke in the house on special occasions, like Christmas Eve. He has several, including a couple churchwardens, several meerschaums, a calabash, and a couple briars.

I want one for a retirement present so I can drink, smoke a pipe, and cackle at people from my front porch.

I’m in my mid-30’s, and I smoke a pipe semi-regularly. I’ve probably got about 30. I’m more of a cigar smoker, but I’ll break out a pipe at least once a week.

Biggest reason that I’ve always let my briar pipes rest is moisture. The tobacco will get the inside of the pipe moist, and I need to give it time to dry, otherwise it can get a funny taste. Meerschaums and corn-cobs don’t really need to do that.

Resolution: At lunchtime, I went to the tobacco shop across from the office. While they didn’t have anything below $25 in the regular selection, they did have a corncob pipe that doesn’t look like a corncob pipe (it’s cherry or maple , made by Missouri Meerschaum, for $4.20.) Perfect, and inexpensive!

See the Ozark Mountain model here:
http://www.corncobpipe.com/

You know, the cherrywood MM’s smoke surprisingly well I am told. It’s not a corncob though, and since it is cherrywood and not briar, if you ever do decide to smoke it be very careful about getting it too hot. It’s easier to burn out cherrywood than briar.

Thanks for the heads-up, although I have no intention to smoke it. I’ve never had so much as one cigarette.

Smoking a pipe is nothing like smoking a cigarette. The taste is nowhere near as harsh; you don’t inhale it into your lungs; it smells better for the people around you, etc. They’re not even in the same league. You should at least try it once before you decide it’s not for you.

My boyfriend smokes pipes, although he smokes cigars more often. I don’t care for the cigars, but I love the pipe smoke smell.

Smoking a pipe is nothing like smoking a cigarette. The taste is nowhere near as harsh; you don’t inhale it into your lungs; it smells better for the people around you, etc. They’re not even in the same league. You should at least try it once before you decide it’s not for you.

I own about 6 of them, icluding a great big calabash! I smoke one of them at least once a month.

My dad, who just turned 50 in October, smoked a pipe up until his mid-30s. He had a small collection, and smoked Borkum Riff (whichever variety came in the black bag or pouch). I remember my first girlfriend doused my letter jacket with perfume (Lady Stetson…yeccch!) because she didn’t appreciate the scent it lent to all the fabrics in the house.

By the way, does anybody know a good source for gourd calabash pipes? I’ve wanted to get one for the boyfriend since forever.

YES!

The ones I really like have already been sold, but this guy (link straight to the pipe you probably want) and this guy(all sold out right now) make the best meershaum pipes in the business. (IMO)

The gourd calabashes in the second link…I wanted them so badly but they were always just outside my price range. Now they are sold. :frowning:

Around here it’s not that uncommon. In fact, I just saw someone walking and smoking a wooden pipe 20 minutes ago and I own a few myself (inherited from my father-in-law). Of course, I don’t put tobacco in them personally.

Here’s a tip, Cliffy: You aren’t supposed to inhale. I’ve heard of people who do, but that isn’t really the way the process is supposed to work.

I started playing with a piPe when I was 17. I say playing because you don’t have to continually smoke a pipe to enjoy it. It can wOrk like gum giving your mouth something to do. But it also involves your hands. People do notice It and It causes interesting conversations.of course some people think it odd but so what that’s their problem.it puts me in a contemplative state and brings on larger ideas. If you choose to smoke a fruity tobacco like cherry almond the aroma can be considered pleasant by many people. Certain women I have found can find it alluring manly perhaps fatherly offering a sense of safety and stability. I don’t light my pipes all the time and I am quite curteous when I do. People are beginning to smoke pipes as it is far less expensive thanother tobacco forms in the long run once three pipes are purchased.
Finally the pipes themselves can be beautifully made and if you collect estate pipes they come with history to them. Smoking isn’t good for you but calmness in todays world is precious. I trulyenjoy my pipes.

My brother and I smoked our pipes last night.