Does anyone actually know a lottery winner?

Several years ago, my parents got 5 numbers out of 6 in (Illinois) Lotto, back when it was only drawn once a week. They ended up with just about enough money to pay the special assessment for paving the alley (last damned alley paved in the entire village, 1947 to '80-something!) and repaving the sidewalk, with only a few hundred left over.

This question would preassume lottery winners are completely alone. But yes, people know lottery winners.

I know a really big winner. It was Dr. Dreiling. I went to school with his daughter Jenny. She and a bunch of our friends lived on the same block and always used to party at her house. Her dad won the Powerball that was worth $34 million. He didn’t really need the money though… he’s an orthodontist and already had lots of money. I have gotten together with Jenny a few times since then but haven’t seen her dad. I wouldn’t say it changed him too much but he doesn’t seem to enjoy his job as much. (Yes, he still works… not sure why.) :confused:

That John Denver’s full of shit man!

A gaz

This is a very common happening for people who come into lots of money quickly, and aren’t used to it. Celebrities, atheletes, lottery winners, anyone who isn’t used to having a lot of money. People who inherit money are not usually quite so likely to dissipate it if they were born to it – “old money” as it were. Like your hairdresser’s attorney customer, I could tell you lots of stories – except I can’t, 'cause of confidentiality concerns. I assure you, though, that, all other things being equal, an insurance company underwriter would be happier insuring the recently-inherited-it-all scion of an old and wealthy family than he would be insuring the middle class kid who just signed a multi-digit millions sports or film contract, or the person who just won the lottery.

-Melin

Voted Best Moderator

Siamese attack puppet – California

??? I have no clue where those first four letters in my post, above the quote from Shirley, came from . . . .

-Melin