Does anyone else here actually enjoy jury duty?

I’m scheduled to show up on July 20. I really like it… I get a day off work, get to sit for a few hours and read a book or play around on my laptop while I wait to be called, perhaps get called to a fairly interesting case (it’s happened twice already), then make a decision that actually has some meaning in this world, and to top it off, free lunch and a little bit of money. How can anyone not like it?

Me! I like it. I wanted to be on a jury so badly I specifically went to the website and filled out a form saying so. Well, about six months later they called me. I went in for two days and they selected jurors and alternate jurors for FOUR TRIALS…and did not choose me. :frowning:

I want to serve!

I’ve gone twice, was called for a case once, sat there all day the second time. I enjoyed them both, for the reasons you state. Of course, a LARGE part of it is that both times, I worked for an employer who paid me for the days I spent there.

Nowadays, self-employed? Heck no. I don’t work, I don’t get paid, and as much as I believe it’s my civic duty and all that, I don’t want to miss a week or more of work to do jury duty. Not only would my income be severely affected, but I’d also probably have to spend nights/weekends catching up on the stuff that only I know how to do.

Having been called for jury duty a half-dozen times, and having served on one jury, I can give you a number of reasons why people don’t enjoy it:

• It can be a pain to get to. Good on you if you live down the road from the courthouse at which you have to serve. Here in suburban Chicago, it’s the luck of the draw as to which courthouse you get assigned – I’ve had to serve at courthouses which were 45 minute drives away. (And, absolutely no one wants to get a summons to serve at “26th and California”, in a crappy neighborhood.)

• It’s tedious.

• The “day off work” always seems to come at a really bad time – when I’m in the middle of an important project, when I have plans that day, etc.

• Here, we don’t get free lunch, and the “pay” is token (under $20 per day of service).

Yes, I enjoy jury duty and have served on two fairly long (around 6 weeks each) cases. My second case was a 1st degree murder trial and was almost exactly like being an extra in an episode of Law & Order.

I do work for an employer who pays full salary for up to 180 days of jury duty, so it is not an economic hardship for me. The most difficult part was having to juggle some work duties after hours.

I served on a jury once, during the summer when I was in college. I found it to be very interesting and informative, and would not mind at all doing it again. I’ve been selected for jury duty 3 or 4 times since, but only once made it as far as sitting on a panel, and I didn’t get selected for the jury that time.

I wouldn’t mind, although I have been known to fall asleep while listening to long speeches. Jury duty isn’t very common in Canada, though.

I’ve never been called, but I wish I would. I don’t know why, I have friends who have been called two or three times.

I’d really like to get a case where I could try out some good old fashined jury nullification…

They also serve who only stand and wait.

– Milton

I have served a couple of times, and while the cases were very minor I found the mechanics of the process to be fascinating - it ain’t like on TV. I also found the inability of jurors to adhere to the judges instructions to be illuminating - I know, I know, people is stupid. I also enjoyed watching the novice prosecutor bungle a simple case - IANAL but c’mon dude, really?

I would do it again in a heartbeat just for the educational and entertainment value.

+1

I’ve been on two juries and enjoyed them both. When I retire I want to be a professional juror.

I enjoyed my last time, ten or twelve years ago. For one thing, my apartment was walking distance from the courthouse, so getting there was trivial and I had no parking issues like my fellows. For another, my employer was very civic minded; their policy was not only pay employees on jury duty their regular salary but to allow them to keep the pittance the state paid, so I didn’t lose anything financially. There are tons of nice restaurants in downtown Memphis, so I got to eat good food; and my sister worked down there, so we got to have several lunches together, which I enjoyed. And the trial, oddly enough, was freaking hilarious.

Awww, thanks. What a nice quote. :slight_smile:

I’m unemployed and STILL don’t want to be on a jury, even with a free lunch, cause there ain’t no free lunch.

Yep, I found both my times serving enjoyable in a general sense and one of those trials went over seven weeks. However as a government employee I get paid my regular wages to be there, so it really isn’t a financial burden. I imagine that makes for a much more relaxing experience - it was sort of like an educational little vacation. Didn’t hurt that the daily trial hours were invariably shorter than my regular work hours.

Why not?

I really have enjoyed my experiences as well and would happily do more time in the box. I’ve had the rookie public prosecuter and the shiny polished expensive defense attorney. I’ve even gotten to see the judge to pound his gavel and reprimand the previously mentioned expense defense attorney about mentioning “facts not relevant to this trial that are being decided elsewhere and by another court of law and are not relevant to the facts of the case at hand”. The other court (Federal) was actually looking at our case/trial as one of the early legality of racial profiling cases especially with regard to police searches.

People is really really dumb though. We had some people who just wanted to convict no matter what in order to “get the guys off the street before they commit worse crimes”. In one case, we even had re-enter the courtroom to get clarifications by the judge and the attorneys on the words, GUILTY and INTENT from a legal perspective. It actually took about 1-2 hours of discussion on their three parts to give us their definitions. So both of my cases were very interesting and informational about people and our government at work.

I don’t mind, I am unemployed and it is $20 a day to sit on my butt and read, and get voir dire’d with the chance of getting picked. Some lawyers like paralegal training, and others don’t so it is sometimes a crapshoot. Then if there is a trial, it is something other than daytime TV and putzing around on the internet. [and the minor consideration that it is my duty as a citizen anyhow:p]

I don’t know! I think that I would enjoy it. At the very least I would find it interesting.

I’ve been summoned a couple of times. Twice, I never had to even go down to the courthouse. Once I got put on a panel, but the jury was filled before my group was called. It’s been years now…close to 10 yrs…since I’ve even been summoned.

I enjoyed both times. The first was a petit jury trial of a person accused of burglary, possession of stolen property and assault on police officers. The second time was for grand jury where we got to determine for several cases per day whether there was enough evidence to proceed to trial. Both very interesting.

Here, for petit jury, you call each morning to see if you’re on the list of possibles, and if not, you don’t show up at all. Grand jury we served one day per week for about 4 months. Most days we were out before noon.

I don’t recall getting free lunch, but we did get free parking.

I’d be glad to do it again any time.