Does anyone not break the agreement?

BTW, gentle moderator, any update on which meaning of “profane” is used in the agreement?

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Stendhal

Pro = Latin meaning “in favour of” or “for”
Fane = George R. Fane, 1893-1947, noted Egyptologist and fetishist

Hence, profane is … well, I’ll leave it for you to fill in.

Let me drop a word in a shell-like ear and see what’s up.

your humble TubaDiva/SDStaffDiv
for the Straight Dope

Hell, I’m a great admirer of George Fane.

(oops, just broke the agreement.)

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Stendhal

Profane: Middle English prophanen, from Latin profanare, from profanus Pro: before (i.e., outside) and Fanus: temple = not sacred, impious.

I don’t think Arnold has really been holding his breath this whole time waiting for an etymology of profane.

Looking at old threads like this is like looking at a b/w tv. Czarcasm and Arnold Winkelried pre-Mod? I thought they just spontaneously began already in the positions of great power they hold now. :slight_smile:

Is it just me or did I see a post from Tuba above where it says ‘Guest’ under her name?

“which is knowingly
false and/or defamatory, inaccurate”

Yeah, no more posts about Fox shows.

Ice Wolf, ignore that Winkelried you see behind the curtain. This Winkelried, in the manner of the great Athena, sprung forth fully armed from the head of Cecil Adams.

waterj2, I wasn’t holding my breath, but I did make a vow not to bathe until someone gave me the origin of the word profane. It’s off to the jacuzzi now.

Ah ha!, It says:

TubaDiva

Which is knowingly false information since she’s not a guest, but part of the staff. Better write yourself an email about that Tuba :slight_smile:

I don’t think Tuba posted that message knowing that several months later we would have a new software package, that hadn’t even been released at the time she wrote the message, that would for some reason have a glitch in the database that changed her status on that post to “guest”. So I don’t think that the “knowingly” criterion is met, unless Tuba has godlike foresight. Or do you also think that we should send letters to anyone who referred to President Clinton, which is now false?

Oh, and Arnold, had any luck with the women now that you’ve cleaned up?

Don’t worry. I think the rest of us knew it was a joke.
And it’s a good curiosity, especially because the status was normal both before and after on the same thread. It’s a keeper all right. We can bring it out for the annual “clip show”, like they do for Letterman.

Of course not, waterj2! She has goddesslike foresight.
Speaking of such, Arnold, does “in the manner of the great Athena” mean that you’re also a virgin maiden? We never knew!

waterj2 : I think women like the sweaty, dirty, pheromone-laden manly man, not the perfumed dandy. Try riding a horse in the hot sun for 10 hours rounding up cattle and then go to your local singles bar. You’ll see women flocking to you like flies.

Chronos: I’ll try and get C K Dexter Haven and Czarcasm to join me in a chorus of “3 little maids from school are we” for your viewing pleasure.

Just be sure to wear that your Magic Gold Shirt, Arnold.

Why does this have “SIG LINE” written all over it? Dex, any royalty fees for this one?

All that old coding in the text was getting distracting. Please start a new thread, if the subject was posted when we all used html codes.

<B>Eh <blockhead> <font size=“huge” face=“sticking tongue out”> What’s that</i>[/sup] Phobia? You’ll have to <font size="+hearing-impaired"> speak up </font>, I can’t <a=“http://www.asl.org/sign_language”> hear you</a/href/html/end>.

Arnold Winkelried

I loved being able to post the moving figures and make the message look like a personal website. Alas the board has become to big for it’s britches and html is nomore. Fare thee well sweet html.

I agree with you Phobia. While I understand and approve of the reasons behind the disabling of HTML on the board, in many cases HTML was used productively and to good effect by posters at the SDMB.

Fortunately, we can still try to be witty using plain text, like our forefathers (and foremothers) did.