Does anyone shower before using a public pool?

In my HS swimming class, we showered after the class- they didn’t give us enough time to shower before. Aside from that, the only public pools I’ve ever used were at hotels- which have neither signs nor showers.

It’s so strange to me that people keep saying this. Maybe it varies by state. I think of signs as being ubiquitous at hotel pools, along with a poolside shower.

I routinely do both. I’m really puzzled by all the people who don’t rinse off before jumping into shared water.

Same. It has literally never occurred to me to do such a thing. That said, I’ve really only been to public pools as a little kid through my teens, so maybe there was a sign at the entrance that I never noticed. If there was, it was never ever brought to my attention and the idea was never mentioned.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 876000 hours unless flagged)

In the UK, this ‘shower before pool’ signage is something that seems to have creeped in without me noticing - we certainly didn’t have it when I was a child in the 70s (but we did have the shallow disinfected bath to step into).

I went to the outdoor pool at my sports club for the first time recently and noticed that (a) signs asked you to shower and (b) nobody did, as far as I could see. The lifeguard paid no notice. Didn’t help that there weren’t any outdoor showers by the pool - maybe people had showered in the changing rooms beforehand, although I doubt it. Most people seemed to be there to sunbathe rather than swim.

My former health club in NYC had a shower-before-pool rule as well. (Which basically means rinse off for 30 seconds in your bathing suit before jumping in.) They had a couple shower heads right on the pool deck for that purpose. It’s a good rule.

They also enforced mandatory swim caps, which I found annoying. But apparently it helps keep hair out of the filter.

Nope. I took swimming lessons when I was in kindergarten, so 1982-83, at our local Y (in Massachusetts) and we always showered before our lesson. Us littles wore our bathing suits for the showers, but I have no idea what the adults did.