Does Cake meet the "Pizza rule"?

But that is, more or less, what “barbecue chicken pizza” is around the US. Look for some national brand versions of it in your freezer section. It’s pizza with chicken with a barbecue sauce base or barbecue sauce drizzled over it. I would never expect it to be topped with actual barbecued chicken. Look, it’s a peeve of mine, too, referring to barbecue as anything covered or flavored with barbecue sauce, but that’s hardly a Chicago thing.

I know “barbecue chicken pizza” to be pizza with barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce, topped with cheese and chicken.

Yeah, and that’s how it typically is around here, too. It usually is not made with a tomato sauce underneath as well , but it’s almost never made with honest-to-goodness barbecued chicken, which seems to be the thrust of epbrown01’s complaint to me.

If Jet’s does use a regular pizza sauce base, that’s a little unusual, but it seems to me better than using a pure barbecue sauce base which is just too cloying for me. I don’t order any barbecue pizza for this reason. (Also, Jet’s is a Detroit-style pizza, with the original restaurant being from Sterling Heights, Michigan. I actually had no idea there was one here in Chicago. I’ll have to check it out, as I enjoy the style.)

Slight hijack, but there may be a cake for the cake-haters out there: “Insanity Rose” Levy Beranbaum’s lemon poppyseed pound cake. Zero frosting, not too sweet, drizzled with a very tart syrup made from sugar and lemon juice.

It might still be too sweet for folks, but it’s pretty ridiculously different from Betty Crocker, and it’s not dry, and the lemony sourness is mighty fine.

Okay, but the no-sugar cake has a sugar substitute, while nothing ever seems to be made with a salt substitute (although it does exist.) So the comparison is not perfect.

I was mostly agreeing with what you said in your previous post, BTW. People will even mostly go ahead and eat that sugar free cake in the right setting, even while complaining about how horrible it is. People may say there is bad cake, but they still mostly go ahead and eat it.

Of course, this board has foodies on it, and they are bit more critical than most.

Nah, my gripe was using both sauces, rather than replacing the tomato sauce with barbecue (which should be cut with tomato sauce, otherwise it’s too sweet, unless they’ve taken the trouble to use a good bbq sauce that isn’t syrup, tomato sauce and cumin).

Barbecued chicken would be nice, but I’ve never seen that.

Well, you can probably blame that on the franchise recipe, which is not local. (And it’s not at all usual, from what I’ve seen, in Chicago.) Still, it sounds better to me than the usual method.

I’ve had bad pizza, and I’ve had bad cake.

I’ve had inedible pizza, but I’ve never had inedible cake. I guess it could be out there, though.

I came in to say something similar. I’ve had bad pizza and bad cake, but the worst cake I’ve ever had was still better than the worst pizza I’ve ever had. When I really, really want cake, I can finish a piece of over-sweet, bland cake with oily icing. Only the threat of starvation will make me finish a piece of flabby/bready crust topped with congealed, oily cheese and red sauce with salt as its only detectable flavor.

Whereas I’ve never made inedible pizza, but I’ve made inedible cake.

I think that’s because homemade cake can go horribly wrong more easily than homemade pizza can. Store-made pizza can go horribly wrong more easily than store-made cake can.

I agree with this. I think that this may be part of the disparity of the thread, with each of us looking at it from a different perspective.

I just don’t think of pizza as a homemade item (even though I more often have to make my own than I used to, due to dietary restrictions), so I assumed we were talking about store-bought stuff.

I dunno — I’m not putting any restrictions on it. I’m just thinking of all the pizzas I’ve eaten and all the cakes I’ve eaten, regardless of where they came from.

There are many ways to screw up pizza. Sour-ish tomato sauce, non-melting cheese, tasteless, rubbery cheese … but the biggest problem seems to be the dough. I have had oversalted dough, unsalted dough, once the baker had heard of adding a bit of sugar to the yeast and the result was sweet as a cookie. While some people like it, I consider a pizza based on a bottom so thick it resembles an full inch layer of pita bread as being rather bad.

We have a winner! (At least for me.) That’s what ruins the majority of pizzas for me.