Does Eli Lilly sell Vaccines w/Thimerosal to other countries?

to many people, the Eli lilly vaccines given to children in America contain Thimerosal, which they link to mercury poisoning… I’m wondering if the Drug mfgr sells the same vaccines to other countries, and if others from other countries also believe there’s a link between the Eli Lilly vaccines and mercury poisoning.

Don’t know, but there is a trade rule which makes it illegal for American companies to sell a product overseas that is “banned” in the USA. Which is why it would be a huge thing, if the USA every completely banned smoking, since that would effectively make it illegal for US tobacco companies to sell cigarettes in other countries.

So, if Thimersal based vaccines are illegal in the USA (vs voluntarily pulled), I don’t think they E. Lilly could sell them overseas.

Perhaps the OP read the article in the most recent issue of Rolling Stone:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/7395411?rnd=1118937794114&has-player=true&version=6.0.12.872

Thimerosol isn’t banned in this country… criminal if you ask me. I hadn’t read the Rollingstone Article, but just did… very frightening that our govt would protect a mfgr at the health risk of millions of babies.

I should’ve been more specific regarding ‘other countries’ … I mean Singapore, specifically. While I don’t consider Singapore a developing country, I still wonder if they purchase the tainted drugs from Eli Lilly and if a rise in autism is occuring there as a result.

concerned.

Are you sure you don’t mean thimerosal?
I found your misspelling in many fear-mongering articles that have little or no scientific support, or worse, out right misinformation
The FDA removed or reduced thimerosal to trace levels in vaccines given to children under 7. It is in Flu vaccines. Thimerosal contains ethylmercury. Some of the articles that were misleading said it contained the much more dangerous compound methylmercury, which is what they find in Super-Fund sites, not vaccines.
Here is a link to a review by a medical researcher, of one of the less than accurate presentations.

Obviously I mean’t Thimerosal. I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but clearly you are mistaken about child vaccines, which do in fact, contain Thimerosal (the FDA has NOT removed it)… and IF the trace levels have been reduced, once you factor that within the past 15 years, a child receives 30 vaccines versus several, the trace levels become dangerous (a cumulative effect)… did you know a child can receive up to 9 vaccines in one day? You do the math, I don’t need to.

Perhaps you need to read the Rolling Stone article referenced above… just one of many written about this growing concern.

Unfortunately, thimerosal is a great preservative. Because of the increased regulations surrounding it, many drug and antibody preparations never intended for human use have switched to using others, that may be even more toxic. Although I understand why eliminating mercury in vaccines and medications is a good idea, it’s a shame that all its other uses are also affected.

Did you bother to read the link to the FDA website that says Thimerosal is not used in vaccines in children under seven? The trace amount don’t add up to a significant dose even with you inflated numbers. Would you rather your child die from a preventable illness?
Please read the offered links. Of course its you choice to hold onto a misconception.
I prefer to use resources that actually do research, rather than fear monger. Thank you, but I’ll pass on Rolling Stone Now if the article was in Cosmo…

BTW, the FDA has this table showing the Thimerosal content in all vaccines.

picunurse’s information on thimerosal in vaccines is accurate.

It was voluntarily pulled from most vaccines here as a safety precaution, but has never been linked to autism (Kennedy’s article in Rolling Stone makes it appear as though the connection is a done deal, but it is a fringe view not supported by mainstream science). I have seen no independent confirmation that a “coverup” meeting was organized by the government, or that the IOM study finding no autism link was “fixed” to benefit vaccine manufacturers (Kennedy triumphantly cites the supposed direction given to researchers to “rule out” a thimerosal-autism link as evidence that the fix was in - but he seem unaware that the term “rule out” is commonly used in medicine when a diagnosis is possible or suspected, and has no sinister connotations). The article is heavily weighted toward fringe advocates of mercury perils and gives the other, dominant side virtually no weight.

More on thimerosal and vaccines here.

I’m no fan of mercury or thimerosol, but I find the idea of millions of children NOT getting vaccines for preventable illness because Thimerosol Is Bad an abhorrent idea.

That poorly written article also appeared in Salon.

Many of the false assertions in the article were refuted here:

Oh and thimerosal was removed from American vaccines in 2003.

I can’t figure out why Salon would publish this article. It’s my impression that they have a fairly good reputation, albeit a little bit left-leaning of a site. The crap in this article is so easily refuted by ten minutes of fact-checking, that it perplexes me how it got by their editors.

Besides the fact that Salon and Rolling Stone got the facts wrong, as several posters have already pointed out, the idea that the shiny pants bureaucrats at the CDC would cover up any kind of health threat is more ridiculous than the theory that the U.S. Marines caught Bin Laden last week and let him go. Discovering a documented danger in a vaccine is a career maker for a CDC or FDA staffer. Look how they went after rotavirus vaccine when more cases of intussusception were found among vaccinated kids than expected. It was pulled off the market. And the idea of that that there is any love lost between the civil servants at the CDC and the vaccine manufactures is a laugh. The civil servants have about the same attitude towards the vaccine manufactueres as Reds fans do toward the Yankees; they do respect them for what they have done but they don’t trust them and would jump at the chance to take them down.

do any of you PRO Eli Lilly posters have any children??? IMHO, you seem to be either incredibly naive to think the govt wouldn’t conspire to cover up/protect huge Pharmaceutical companies, or you work for a pharmaceutical company, therefore bias, or you dropped from the sky from Mars.

pace. Welcome to the Show.

General Questions is where you started this quest. But you don’t seem to want to hear the scientific answers to your questions, but instead you continue to rely on questionable and even inaccurate evidence.

Let’s try this one in Great Debates.

samclem GQ moderator

I have a toddler I adore.

Like the other posters who answered your question I am not “PRO Eli Lilly,” nor am I naive nor do I work for a pharmaceutical company nor have I ever lived on Mars.

I am simply pro good science and journalism. The Rolling Stone article does not meet either criteria.

Do you have any response to the link I posted? Or any of the other material brought up by other debate participants?

Because if you would like to actually come here and debate or get an answer to your question instead of ranting and hurling insults, I and many other posters, am fully prepared to attempt to answer any and all of your debating points.

Modern medical practices in the USA makes the inclusion of Thimerosal unnecessary. There is really nothing wrong with using a mercury based preservative but we strive to reduce heavy metals whenever possible. In countries where refrigeration is not guaranteed and the standard of sanitation is less than desired, Thimerosal is the preservative of choice.

I’m neither for or against Lily or any other drug manufacturer. Since you asked, I had a child. He died.
My life has been dedicated to caring for sick children.
Please tell me why you refuse to believe the evidence that’s been presented. Please, tell me why you would take the word of a marginal publication than that of several professional medical sites.
And most importantly, what would be the motive for Lily or anyone else perpetrate a massive cover-up, involving multiple government agencies for an unprofitable product?
Thimerosal is not used in children’s vaccines.

Here’s my guess as to why you are so closed minded about this. You have an autistic child. You want someone or something to blame.
There is no one to blame; not Lily, not the FDA, not you.
There’s no conspiracy.
If I’m wrong, I apologize. If I’m right, You have my sympathy

The author of the article I linked to (concluding that no link has been shown between thimerosal exposure and autism) identifies himself elsewhere as the father of two children with autism-spectrum disorders.

Now that the Rolling Stone/salon.com article has come out, expect more unbalanced and inaccurate presentations on mercury and autism. For instance, the Montel Williams show just “covered” the subject. Note that the guests included seven sources, six of which seem convinced that mercury is the culprit in autism (including a woman who blames her child’s disorder on her tunafish consumption), and only one rational scientific voice.

Add to this the fact that a number of dubious characters are claiming (again, without convincing evidence) to reverse autism through chelation therapy, plus the many voices discouraging vaccination on various nonsensical grounds, and we have the potential for a) lower vaccination rates, and b) a resurgence in preventable childhood diseases.