Does involuntary commitment to a mental health facility show up on a background check?

I had some mental health crises in 2007 and '14 that required that I be involuntarily committed to psychiatric hospitals, on account of the fact that I was a danger to myself and others, and incapable of giving informed consent for treatment. I was really messed up.

Currently, I’m looking for a new place to live. A lot of people are requesting background checks. Is this the sort of thing that would show up on a background check? As far as I know, I don’t have a criminal record.

Generall speaking, they’re not as coordinated as the criminal justice system about records. It’s not likely that it would show up in a background check unless you contested it and it went to court and a judge ruled that you were to be detained. I have heard that it varies from state to state.

Because you’re talking about a tenant background (as opposed to a background for buying a gun) this shouldn’t come up. There are legal protections regarding release of medical data.

The only way I can think of where it might show up is if it was connected to a criminal charge. Like if you pleaded out to a crime due to mental incapacity. Then there might be a record. But I stress the word might. Many times even criminal records get sealed when there are mental health issues attached.