Does "Outrage au tribunal" in Quebec = "Contempt of court" in U.S.?

And if not, what would the corresponding U.S. legal term be, and how would you characterize the differences? Thanks.

IANAL, but I am from Québec!

I think “contempt of court” would be the correct equivalent, though I don’t know the US legal definition either.

From here:

A quick and somewhat literal translation by me is:

“L’outrage au tribunal” is the act of a person who contravenes an order from a judge or who acts in such a way as to hinder the normal course of the administration of justice or to discredit authority or the dignity of the tribunal.
“Loutrage au tribunal” could be inside a court of justice and hindering the process of a trial or it can be outside the court by not respecting the decision of the tribunal, such as, for example, running away from a youth home while under custody.
The website appears to be a youth-oriented justice aid webpage.

Yes - “l’outrage au tribunal” is the French equivalent to “contempt of court” in Quebec and in the rest of Canada where French is used in the courts.

See, for example, s. 9, s. 10(1) and s. 10(2) of the federal Criminal Code, which is in force throughout Canada. “Outrage au tribunal” and “contempt of court” are used as equivalent terms in the French and English versions of these provisions.

Excellent, Northern Piper! Thanks for finding that cite.

The first word of “Outrage au tribunal”, even though French, has an English “cognate” which most accurately describes the reaction of most American judges when they experience contumnacious conduct in their courtrooms.

I will have to note that phrase for future reference.



You’re welcome! We aim to please.