Does papaya always taste like ass?

I was ready to retort no, but then in the UK Tescos sell them prepacked with a lime, so I can’t really comment.

There’s an awesome Thai green papaya salad called somtam. That’s really the best thing I took away from three years of studying the Thai language :smiley: You shred your green papaya and add stuff - my teacher had a restaurant and her recipe basically involved minced birdseye chilis, lime juice in quantity, palm sugar, fish sauce, and crushed peanuts on top. Man, that was good. I still get cravings for it.

Wait, are we talking paw-paw here? Man, I love that stuff. How can you have a fruit salad without paw-paw?

You’re eating it from the wrong end.

Yeah, this is the stuff. Tastes nothing like ass (although it might be redolent of dead fish), but you pound the hell out of it in a mortar, add lime juice and fish sauce, both which break down the fruit, plus sugar, chilis, peanuts, and in the “Isaarn” version they add little crabs and double or triple up the fish sauce. Awesome stuff, you typically eat with sticky rice.

I had a Vietnamese version of this on Saturday just to compare. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t nearly as good, either. I think they just shread and add a few things.

Note that these are both green papaya dishes, I don’t have much experience with the ripened version. Mangoes are the way to go there.

I don’t know. What we call pawpaw here in the Midwest perhaps rest of the US is not papaya, although it bears some superficial resemblance to it.

So, what’s with all the papaya stands in every other streetcorner in Manhattan? Do they grow them in greenhouses there? Fresh daily shipments from Hawaii? New Yorkers like the taste of ass? Something else?

Agreed. Cantaloupe is pretty good that way too, although I found it a bit too sweet.

— golf clap —

I agree. Then you can throw it straight back in the grower’s face.

I’d say it tastes more like vomit than ass.

But I still love it.

After using, but before eating, remember to rinse your papaya well.

The smell alone (just like vomit) is more than enough to keep me from tasting it.

I’m culinarily adventuresome.

Which?

Is this the source of the term “candy ass”?

Papaya is such a cruel joke. It looks delicious and tropicaltastic, yet always tastes like baby diapers.

I think most people who have been sexually active for a while and aren’t totally squeamish prudes know what ass tastes like.

Gotta disagree with you all here: papaya tastes like feet.

What I can see in the Wiki article looks like what I’d call paw-paw, down to the mass of black seeds in the middle cavity. Certainly nothing like this description .