Does the number thirteen bother you? How much?

Cecil’s Column. Fear of the number 13 is very old and real.

I don’t like the number 13. I wouldn’t live on the thirteenth floor of a building. I wouldn’t visit a doctor or dentist that had offices on the thirteenth floor. I do go to work on Friday the 13th. But, don’t like traveling any great distance on Friday the 13th. If possible, I’d reschedule a trip for another day.

I’m not pathological about it. If my boss sends me on a plane for a computer conference, then I’ll go on the 13th. But, will buy travel insurance and say a few prayers.

How about you? Fess up. :stuck_out_tongue:

WTF are we going to do about 2013? Me? I will always refer to it as 2013. Never as the year 13. Anyway 2013 isn’t evenly divided by 13. That’s a relief.

Nope, doesn’t bother me. I hate all numbers.

Doesn’t bother me a bit. Give me room 13 on the 13th floor on the 13th of any month and pay me $113K to throw a 13th birthday party for 13 kids and I’ll be there.

I like primes and squares. 13 is prime.

No.

It’s a number. Just like 666, etc. I do like me some 420 though.

You guys should have booked seats on Apollo 13. :smiley: NASA was laughing at the superstition too. Right up until that astronaut flipped the switch to stir up the cryo tanks.

At least I don’t worry about cracks on the sidewalk or ladders. Most superstitions I totally ignore.

LOL - this
<passes the bong along, no bogarting here!>

Bakers dozen is a good thing.

It doesn’t bother me a bit. It’s not my favorite number, but that’s not its fault–I just like pi. It’s an irrational preference.

In America, 13 is a Lucky number. This is why in the Winchester Mystery House e.g. you have a lot of 13’s.

It’s just a number. Who cares?

It doesn’t bother me at all, but when I worked in surgery in the hospital, we had 13 surgical suites–and they were numbered 1-12, and 31. The “31” was a paper sign taped over the orignal “13.” No one would admit to being superstitious; everyone blamed another group of medical people for it.

In my youth, it was always the jersey number I requested.

It concerns me a lot, because it is my “lucky” number.

Just the opposite, like Emtar, I like primes.

I won’t fly on the 13th (willingly), nor on the 13th row of a plane/bus/train. I wouldn’t live on the 13th floor, buy a house numbered 13, or rent apartment number 13, if I had any other option.

I am especially wary of scheduling anything important (medical procedures, dental procedures, airplane flights, etc.) on a Friday the 13th.

Friday the 13th? Bah!

If Walt Kelley were still with us, he would not fail to remind us that Friday the 13th falls on a Monday this month! If I may take in vain the name of another Straight Dope contributor: Rowrrbazzle!

For every American who considers it lucky, there are 99 who consider it unlucky.

I wouldn’t, say, buy a condo on the 13th floor because I would be worried about superstition affecting resale. Otherwise I don’t care. I don’t have a bad luck wind blowin’ on my back.

I greet every Friday 13th with: “Bwuh? That’s today?”

As someone who was born on Friday the 13th, I can honestly say the number doesn’t bother me at all. The rest of you, however, should be VERY worried…