[QUOTE=Bricker]
Did you not read my post? I provided two authorities (or three if you count the House Judiciary Committee, but I agree that they are hardly a neutral party, so I wouldn’t blame you for rejecting their conclusions): “Grand Inquests, The Historic Impeachments of Justice Samuel Chase and President Andrew Johnson” by William Rehnquist, and "“Impeachment: The Constitutional Problem,” by Raoul Berger.
There are no Supreme Court cases directly analyzing “High Crimes and Misdemeanors” as applied to a Presidential impeachment. This is because the Supreme Court, like all federal courts, cannot issue advisory opinions – that is, it cannot give an opinion about an issue that MIGHT happen. It can only rule on an actual controversy after it’s happened. This is because of the “case or controversy” requirement of the Constitution.
There have only been two Presidential impeachments in the history of the US, and neither generated Supreme Court-level controversy about the “High Crimes and Misdemeanors” clause.
Nonetheless, there is no serious disagreement among legal scholars that the issue of what constitutes a “High Crime and Misdemeanor” is a political question and is non-justiciable.
I have provided you cites that support this point. I’m asking, again, if you have any cites to the contrary.
[/QUOTE]
THose aren’t cites you linked to, they are books/articles you are offering for me to find and read. Maybe they back your point, maybe they don’t. Without quotes from those work, you are using an “argument from authority”, not a cite. Come on dude, you know the difference.
Yes, I know that thy have never removed a President, which is one reason why there are no definitive Court decisons on “other high crimes and misdemeanors”. Which means- *there are no definitive Court decisions on that issue. *But the President is not the only Officer in the Executive branch and the “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors” clause applies to them all, not just the President.
But what is important is that the “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors” clause does **NOT **apply to the Judicial branch, thus your cite of Nixon is meaningless as Nixon did not touch on “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors” as “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors” didn’t apply for that removal of a Judge. Thus, Nixon is not a valid cite for what “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors” means or doesn’t mean. Come on dude, you know better than that.
I have provided you with cites- and Wiki does give you a nod: but it’s a damn lukewarm nod “*Several commentators have suggested that Congress alone may decide for itself what constitutes an impeachable offense.” * I expect that the articles you mention are amoung the “several commentators”. Thus, it does seem that the weight of *non-citable opinion *in this matter is on your side. But that’s different from your claims that there has been a definitive SCOTUS ruling on this issue- as there hasn’t been, as you pointed out above. Nixon is not at all definitive on the issue of “other high crimes and misdemeanors” as Nixon doesn’t even touch on “other high crimes and misdemeanors”.