Does this exist? (casemod question)

I’m looking to do a PC case mod project, and I was wondering if they sold some sort of ribbon cable that you can use to separate a PCI or AGP card from the motherboard, and be able to put that card somewhere other than on the card, perpendicularly.

Does that, or something like that, exist?

Oops…

I’m looking to do a PC case mod project, and I was wondering if they sold some sort of ribbon cable that you can use to separate a PCI or AGP card from the motherboard, and be able to put that card somewhere other than on the motherboard, perpendicularly.

They’re called “risers” and commonly used in “pizza box” and flat rackmount machines - here’s some examples: http://www.mycableshop.com/2nd_Cat/RackmountRiserCards.htm

Never heard of it and if it does exist I think it would drastically effect performance. A lot of engineering goes into designing those circuit pathways.

Just out of curiosity, what’s your idea, if it’s not a secret?

so much for that… :o

Never heard of anything like that myself.

Be mindful of airflow young Padawon. :smiley:

My god, gotpasswords, that was exactly what I was looking for… except for the whole costing $30 a pop deal…

Anyways, I was thinking about finding some (secure) way of suspending the motherboard inside a plexiglas box from wires or something or other, kind of like Euclid, from Pi (my friend and I have access to a machine shop and materials for framework stuff). In order to do that in any cool way, I needed the ribbon cables, which I was thinking to use to be able to essentially put the PCI and AGP cards wherever I wanted (so that the motherboard wouldn’t have to be stuck to the back end of the case).

Oh well. Seeing these things put the doability of the whole project into perspective. I guess I’ll either have to start saving up or think of something else to do.