Does this hoax have even the slightest ring of truth to it?

I’m talking about this fake news. Granted, it’s pretty dumb to think such an interview would ever take place (or that anyone in Al-Qaeda cares one whit about the Kyoto Treaty), but some things about it do make me wonder. I’m specifically wondering about the assertions made about the empty nature of the U.S. economy.

Granted, the possible scenario presented would be devastating to the country, and it IS a possibility that the nation would never really recover, but would it really be that “easy”? And what would the effect of a total economic collapse of this country really be on the rest of the world (a question dismissed out of hand in the false interview)?

The notion that services are somehow not of real economic value is piffle, as is the rest of the economics in the hoax. Of course an attack of this nature would cause great dislocation and a very large and probably long depression, due to the destruction of quite real, value-producing factors of production.

Are you asking, “Is it possible for someone to believe this, even though it’s so farfetched?” That answer would be – yes

Would what “really be that easy”? Destroying a country if you had seven nuclear weapons? Getting seven nuclear weapons? Moving seven nuclear weapons around within the country?

IF you had seven nuclear weapons (real ones, not just “dirty bombs”) in seven major cities, and could set them off at any time, I imagine you could do a real good job of ruining the economy for quite a few years to come.

Sounds like the premise of Dark Angel; that an EMP erased “all the ones and zeros”, and that with no records surviving of all the intangible credits, trillions of dollars of worth simply evaporated, leaving the country bankrupt.

No, the US produces little food and few consumer goods. Look at all those empty supermarket shelves and empty new car lots.

shhh we don’t want the world to find out what we really do with those immigrants from Mexico they think we use them for cheap labor LOL how many fruit pickers do they think we need LOL! if they only knew ! . Is it just me are do the ones that run from the border patrol taste gamey

Oh, I don’t doubt any of that. My questions were about the economic assertions in the hoax, especially that the nation would completely collapse because the economy is based on smoke and mirrors, and that the world would get along just fine after the complete destruction of one of its superpowers after a period of intial adjustment.

THAT is the stuff that I’m thinking might’ve been so farfetched that it should’ve put people on guard. I’m seeing if others, with more knowledge of economics, agree or not.

Sure, after the first hundred years or so, the world might recover. Oil would plunge to $5/barrel without the US appetite. Maybe less. Large parts of the world would probably face starvation, but things might get better after many decades.

The bright side is that you could probably get on the SDMB at will. Oh! That’s right. I meant the one that sprang up in OZ after the event. :smiley:

You do realise a lot of that isn’t made in the US.

Since the US accounts for about 30% of the world’s economy, so knocking the US out will be a heavy blow to the rest of the world but not a total disaster.

As for food, Europe, Australia, and Canada all compete with the US for the export market. Not to mention several Asian and South Amrican countries.

One tipoff to its being a hoax is the name of the alleged informant, al-Usquf. For anyone who knows Arabic, this is absurd. al-Usquf means ‘the bishop’. Only a Christian could have this name. Whoever concocted the hoax must have deliberately put in an Arabic Christian name and enjoyed a chuckle at how easily he could hoodwink the masses who haven’t a clue about Arabic.

Does the concept of “bishop” exist in Arabic at all? Are there any Arabic Christians?

We’ve already got one, just in case :).

God almighty though, imagine reading that cold, in a gullible frame of mind.

What kind of twisted individual would have written such crap?

Of course. There are many christian churches in arabic countries, predating islam. You’ve probably heard about the christian/muslim conflict in Lebanon, or about the christian palestinians (Arafat’s wife is christian, IIRC, and he attends to christian ceremonies on occasion…for political reasons, like the US president visiting a synagogue, not because his wife is christian). The previous General Secretary of the UN, Boutros Ghali, was a christian Egyptian. There are christian minorities in Syria, in Irak, etc…

I quickly checked some figures, and here the christian %age of the population in some arabic countries :

Lebanon : 40%

Palestine : 15%

Egyptia : 8%

Jordan : 5%

Syria : 4%

Irak : 3%