Does this song by 70's band America sound like the Beatles?

The deployment of a dominant-7th chord at :32 in the OP’s song is indeed a Beatles-esque feature to have in a ballad. Other than that I don’t think there’s any particularly distinctive Beatles influence on the song. But it’s funny that you should mention Bread. “Baby I’m A Want You” always reminded me, not of the Beatles but specifically of George Harrison. The bridge and the simple but tasteful guitar solo most especially.

I knew what song this was before clicking on it.

Decades ago a friend insisted that this was the Beatles. I knew better. We bet $5. He never admitted he was wrong, and never paid up.

I just re-connected with him on Facebook; should I demand my $5 with or without interest?

mmm

^ I’d settle for the fin and inform (read: shame) him that when my kid sister was 6 years old, she bet me a quarter on a John Denver lyric that she was, of course, wrong about. I told her to keep her two bits but she insisted on making good and stuffed that coin in my hand.

It’s “Maybe I’m Amazed.” :slight_smile:

It reminds me more of Our House by CSNY. The piano technique is reminiscent of some Beatles songs and there were a couple of bits that reminded me of Something, overall I got a CSNY vibe though.

I was just going to say Our House. I’m a Beatles obsessive, and I’m also obsessed with America’s first album (which is titled America), upon which this song appears. I can see the brief resemblance with Something but otherwise I’ve never thought this was like a Beatles song.

Do have a listen to the rest of the album, it’s fantastic even in the original listing that lacks A Horse With Name. Years ago a friend turned me on to the stark weirdness of Clarice and Donkey Jaw, I also love Three Roses. Would anyone agree that their guitar playing is better than that of Crosby Stills and Nash?

The song from the OP does not remind me of Lennon/McCartney or Harrison. There’s no humor, no edge, the voice is sheep-like, the lyrics tend toward cliche.

The verse has a good melody and okay lyrics, but the I Need You chorus is annoyingly bland, lyrically and melodically. The Beatles almost never settled for blandly pretty.

The Knickerbockers sounded like The Beatles.

I don’t anything about chords and measures but the opening is clearly Beatles-like. That doesn’t mean that much, it’s a few notes.

They sounded like they were trying to be carbon copies of the Beatles.
BTW, why bring a musical instrument out on stage if you aren’t even going to pretend to play it?

^ No mics, either, and I don’t think the guitarist is plugged in, to boot.

He kept hitting the side of that sax like it was a keyboard.

Virtually word by word my impression. Caught the Something parallel in the verse too. Though for the time period and genre, one would pretty much find it impossible to not find cross-influence with such pervasive forces as the Beatles/CSNY (as wholes or as individuals). Or for that matter to have yet someone else have influenced all three.

Of course, as the Knickerbockers exemplify, there are always cts or producers who don’t just go for “influenced” but for “replicated”.

Hey, if you don’t even have a mic, ya gotta give the guy something to do with his hands. Gotta give it to those 60s/early 70s TV shows that were so shameless about it being all lip synch.

That’s the way it was in those days. All the popular shows like American Bandstand, Shindig etc were mimed. Most musicians didn’t like it (the good ones at least). Some would go out of their way to convey how fake it was. It’s just how it was. Either fake it or you don’t get on the show. And getting on the show meant loads of publicity . . .
Recall too that many of the hits were actually recorded in the studio by pros (professional musicians), so it was probably to their benefit that they got to mime along to the recording. The kids ate it up, as they do these days to videos by popular celebrity performers & such. Not that much has changed in this regard.

I know that…but this dude wasn’t even miming it-He didn’t even lift up the sax and put it to his lips.

Oh, since there was no sax in the song, maybe it’s like a Keytar, only it’s a Keyophone… (a tenor keyophone, only two octaves, by the look of it).

If we go by Wikipedia, it was his instrument in the band. So we would have to believe that when actually doing a live show he’d anyway have it slung on him even during songs without a sax part, rather than put it on a stand.

Oh. Hah,hah. I only watched about 5 seconds of it. I just knew of the song and Googled it. I’d presume he had nothing but disdain for having to BS his way through the song. Can’t say I blame him really :wink:

Also; and maybe someone has mentioned this already but I can’t be bothered searching. When The Guess Who first came out with their original singer, Chad Allan I believe, there was some speculation that it could have been The Beatles. Not because of the sound so much as the mystery implied by the name (Guess Who).

The Knickerbockers were chameleons. As far as I know “Lies” and “One Track Mind” are their only songs that sound remotely like a Beatles song. Their other stuff runs the gamut from sounding like the Four Seasons to the Righteous Brothers. Their cover of “All Day and all of the Night” is easily mistaken for the original Kinks version.

It could be he just doesn’t feel comfortable without the instrument. Something to “hide behind”.