Our Ironing Board we got at Wal-Mart for less than 20 bucks. It was fine for the first couple openings but soon it began making an absolutely heinous noise when we open it. The noise rests somewhere between the scratching of finger nails on chaulk board and restarting your car when it is already on.
I suppose we could invest in a wooden framed ironing board, or a wall mounted one, but I’m sure we can’t be alone with this. Anyone else have an ironing board that makes a terrible noise when opened?
I’ve never met an ironing board that didn’t. Even the wall-mounted ones have the same metal-on-metal screech when you lower them. I’ve never tried oiling it, it just seemed to be One of Those Things.
Graphite Lubricant Spray might be a better choice than WD-40. It goes on dry, and lasts considerably longer than WD-40 in my experience. It’s also a little less messy. Works great on hinges, too!
[QUOTE=mikemo] Graphite Lubricant Spray might be a better choice than WD-40. It goes on dry, and lasts considerably longer than WD-40 in my experience. It’s also a little less messy. Works great on hinges, too!
BTW-I can’t stand that noise, either!!
[/QUOTE]
Are you an engineer? Engineers and locksmiths are in love with graphite.
I’d rather have wrinkly duds thatn to listen to the cries of 5 million lemmings wailing in desperation.
If the slide mechanism is accessable you can just rub a dry bar of soap over it. Less messy, cheaper and quite effective. Works on the pins of squeaky door hinge also.
[QUOTE=Phlosphr]
Should I just use WD-40 on it?
[/QUOTE]
No.
For sliding rails like this a dry lubricant works like a dream. My pap used graphite for years, and it worked well, but made a real mess when it was applied. Nowadays I’d use a spray dry lubricant - any hardware store should have a choice of them.
This will last longer than WD-40 and make less of a mess.
(Oops…didn’t preview. But sound advice anyway - the graphite we were using in the old days came in a tube and made a real mess.)
[QUOTE=Kuboydal]
Are you an engineer? Engineers and locksmiths are in love with graphite.
[/QUOTE]
No, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night!
I’m a humble computer geek (sysadmin). Not sure where, when, or how I discovered graphite lubricant. I seem to remember reading somewhere (Popular Mechanics, maybe?) that WD-40 is actually not a lubricant, or at least not a good one, and wears off relatively quickly when used as such. When I was growing up, my dad always kept a can of 3-in-1 oil around for lubricating things.
[QUOTE=Eleanor of Aquitaine]
I bet it’s one of those noises that is instantly identifiable the world over, like the sound of cocking a shotgun.
[/QUOTE]
That’s why I keep one by my front door, in case of a home invasion.
[QUOTE=mikemo]
No, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night!
I’m a humble computer geek (sysadmin). Not sure where, when, or how I discovered graphite lubricant. I seem to remember reading somewhere (Popular Mechanics, maybe?) that WD-40 is actually not a lubricant, or at least not a good one, and wears off relatively quickly when used as such. When I was growing up, my dad always kept a can of 3-in-1 oil around for lubricating things.
[/QUOTE]
It is too bad that WD40 has eclipsed the 3-in-1 and is used in place of it. 3-in-1 makes the world work smoothly.