Dog almost killed a bird. need answer fast

Just happened to be outside when my dog chased down a bird. I stopped him in time but the bird is now laying in my back yard with a broken wing.

Should I go ahead and kill it?

I called animal control. They were no help.

Where do you live? There are probably wildlife rehabbers in the area and if you tell us where you are someone may be able to give recommendations.
Around here, the humane society takes injured wildlife - might want to check with some other animal shelters if animal control didn’t have any ideas.

My dog cornered a pigeon once and broke his wing. I took a look and the pigeon had a band on its leg!

I asked here and Googled around and found out who owned the pigeon (he was a racing pigeon I guess). In the meantime, I looked up avian vets in the area and took Bert to the closest one. They set his wing in a little purple birdy cast. The owner came and got him a day or so later.

The owners probably killed him when they got him home. Nobody wants a racing pigeon who can’t out-smart a dog :frowning:

Anyway, what kind of bird?

I don’t know. It’s brown and I live in Texas.

A friend of my son’s dad apparently knows how to handle these types of things. He’s on his way to come get the poor critter.

“Q4: I have found an injured or orphaned baby bird/animal. What do I do?
A4: The best thing to do for both you and the animal is to contact a Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator in your area. Their names and numbers can be found on our website under: [- and then your county. If you cannot find a contact, you can call TPWD at (512) 389-4505.”

Excerpted from: [url=“http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/faq/huntwild/general_questions.phtml”]Texas Parks and Wildlife–Hunting & Wildlife FAQ](http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/rehab/list/"Hunting & Wildlife - Rehabilitators[/url)

weird…my post got cut off…anyway, here’s the rest of it:

“… - and then your county. If you cannot find a contact, you can call TPWD at (512) 389-4505.”

Excerpted from: Texas Parks and Wildlife–Hunting & Wildlife FAQ

[Mod mod]Fixed title-changed "bitd’ to “bird”[/Mod mod]