Dog Noses

I have a 6 month old Taco Bell dog. When I first got her (in the summer) her nose was black. Now that it is Nov. her nose is turning a greyish pink color. I was told that dogs have a sensitive nose, more so in the winter. Does this cause the color change, or is it cause she is just getting older…?:dubious:

Some dogs do develop snow nose (I have an Alaskan Malamute and she gets this) where in the winter time, their noses turn pink and return to black in the summer. It’s most common in Labs, Retrievers, Huskies, Malamutes and Bernese Mountain dogs. It can also occur due to aging but yours is only 6 months old so that’s obviously not it.

There are a few medical conditions that can cause this such as Vitiligo. However, dogs who have that will also have white patches in their fur throughout their coat. But Vitiligo is not life threatening and there are supplements you can give the dog to correct it.

The most likely answer is that this is just your dogs genetics. My mother was born blonde and turned brunette over the years. A dog’s nose color is determined the same way hair and eye color is, and it can change over time. It’s very common. Overall, you probably have nothing to worry about.

There are studies that suggest dogs with pink noses are more susceptible to skin cancer. Vets recommend that if the dog is outdoors for an extended period of time, you keep sunscreen on it. Hope that helps!