Doggie Doorbells?

You think you’ve seen almost everything. Then this comes along:

Doggie Doorbells

Now, how long do you think it will take before the little darlings learn how to poop in a bag and set it on fire before ringing their Doggie Doorbell?

:rolleyes:

I don’t know what the big deal is. Years ago we took a giant jingle bell on a ribbon and hung it on the door nob. Our cats just ring the bell when they want to go outside. No litter box stinky in this house !

We already have a convenient device for this purpose. It’s called BARKING.

Like I need another way for my dogs to make noise.

I’ve been considering rigging something up for just this purpose. Our screen door is already shredded beyond repair.

What a coincidence!!! We have the exact same device! And, what I like about this one is that it keeps on reactivating itself until it gets a response.

What is even more amazing about this device is that when inside the house, it has an automatic “tracking” function. It will even come find you if the response is not immediate!

If I’m not mistaken, it was a package deal. I believe it came along with the dog at no extra charge. :slight_smile:

Bark-free methods for requesting to go out, or come in, are often important to people… shrug It’s also a nifty trick. To some folkses.

We use doorbells for our service dogs. No, not jingle bell things on strings (we train puppies with that) but doorbells activated by the dog’s paw, much like the one you saw advertised. We use real doorbell systems, though, as opposed to something made specifically for dogs. For some of our disabled patients, the loud doorbell is easier to hear and to respond to (not to mention that it can be hooked up to the light-flashing systems for the deaf) than a bark, or a quiet little wee bell.

At the same time, I teach all our service dogs to ring doorbells - they sometimes work with people whose mobility is so poor that they cannot do it easily themselves.

The problem with this is that some dogs get confused between doorbell buttons and buttons which open doors for the handicapped. Zap, my current trainee, was extremely frustrated the day she came up to our door and started ringing the bell furiously, and looking over at the door, expecting it to open. She was, visibly, pissed off about it all…

:smiley: E.

I think it’s a good idea if you don’t want a barking dog. Ours also rings a bell on a string on the inside when she wants to go out, but barks when she wants in. If you have neighbors that don’t like the barking, or if you can’t hear him right away, it might be a great idea.

My dog has a very unique way of letting us know he wants in. Not a door bell, more like a door screeetchhhhh! He drags one paw down the metal storm door.

Yeah, I’d say a doggie doorbell for door-scratchers is a good idea.cI feel really fortunate that our dog figured out how to “knock” when he wants to go in or out: he nudges the doorknob with his nose, which makes the doorknob rattle a little bit. We’ve done some dog-sitting for other people’s pups, though, and the scratchers are the worst.