Dogs and the bathroom

So, this is in the vein of the old, “I got a puppy for my husband. It’s the best trade I ever made.” sort of gag?

Our bathroom door doesn’t close completely, due to the humidity having warped it, and we don’t care enough to bother getting it fixed. It was like that when we moved in, and it’ll be like that when we leave.

This fact has allowed our cat to quickly learn how to open the door, which she will do almost whenever one of us is in there, except when we take showers. In that case, she sits outside the door, but pops the door open once she hears us come out of the shower. It hasn’t yet been a problem with houseguests, but I can just imagine the fit of hysterical laughter my mom would be if the cat ever popped the door open on her during a visit!

Alternatively, the cat will wait outside the door, and the second you open it to walk out, she’ll jump straight up into the air (above my waist high!) and try and swipe at you (no claws). Never fails to scare me, even thought I know it’s coming!

Yeah, sure. You say “no claws” but that isn’t in the least reassuring to us menfolk. Guys know better. We’ve got those dangly bits that can be hard (as it were) for most kitties (or pussies) to resist.

Yes, the Dogelope (Hey, I just made that up!) sometimes comes into the bathroom. I live alone, so leave the door open, and sometimes she comes in. I don’t encourage it, and she usually stays out, but when she does come in, she doesn’t make trouble. Usually it’s during a thunderstorm; if I’m not home during a storm, she’ll get in the shower. I come home and find dirty pawprints in the shower.

Yes, she sleeps on (not in) the bed with me.

Photos: 1 2

My brother and his wife have 2 un-neutered male dogs (pug and mini dach) who insist on going to the bathroom with you. And if you’re a girl, they’ll sniff the crotch of your undies if they can!!!

I admit, sometimes I’ll let the boy follow me in. If he’s well-hydrated ;), there’s never any problem. Very occasionally, though. . .well. . .you know how dogs love to drink running water straight from the faucet :rolleyes:. That’s not tolerated, but most of the time he just sits behind me. He does the same thing, though, when he’s out running with the neighbor dog, and ends up getting his nose peed on :rolleyes:. He’s never been allowed in the room for No. 2, but will sit outside the door and keep bumping his nose into the door handle.