Dogs are creatures of habit

We have a shepherd/doberman mix named Zoe. She’s a sweet pup, but a bit on the destructive side (in a playfull, everything is a toy to her kind of way). We’ve been teaching her what is and is not ok to play with. In the meantime, we’ve kept her penned up when we’re asleep or at work. There’s a storage area in our finished basement that’s pretty roomy and open, and we put a doggy bed in there for her. There’s a doorway, but no door, so we put a gate on it.

She’s been getting much better at not messing with stuff she’s not supposed to mess with, so for the past few days, we’ve been letting her have the run of the basement while we’re asleep or at work. We’ve made sure anything dangerous (or breakable) is well hidden. She’s doing very well!

Every morning before we go to work, and every night before we go to bed, we let her out to potty. When she comes back in, she still goes straight to “her room” and waits for me to shut the gate. When I start walking up the stairs without locking her up, she pokes her head out and looks up at me with an expression of confusion and disbelief. Cracks me up every time. :smiley:

I wonder how long it will take for her to not expect to be penned up anymore?

They are creatures of habit, aren’t they? :slight_smile: Jasmine’s evening walk gets moved to late evening in the summer when it’s hot, or early evening in the winter when it gets dark so early. It always takes her a bit to realize the schedule’s changed.

My dogs are the same way. I work a straight day shift while my wife works a rotating shift. So there are times where we are passing each other minutes away from the house, she just leaving and me going home. Even though the dogs have been inside the kennel for less than 10 minutes, they INSIST on going out because one of us just came home.

And because the last thing we do before we leave is take them out for a walk and then they go in their kennel, the first thing that happens when they come in and get off their leash is go into their kennel. It’s kind of fun to look at the confusion on their faces during a mid day walk and we walk by the kennel without closing the door.

My old dog could be put in the kennel and the door shut but not locked. I don’t care how long I would be gone, I would come home to a dog in the kennel and a closed door…I know there was always the possibility that he had figured out how to shut the door on his own, but I don’t think so.