Dogs - one vs. two?

My first dog was an only, and I would never have gotten a second with her. She would’ve enjoyed it (I think, after an adjustment period) but she was the canine version of a hell-on-wheels toddler. She could open cabinet doors, the fridge and had started on drawers. She had chewed up a cpap mask, a pair of glasses, a leash and a wallet, to name the more unusual & expensive things in the brief 2 1/2 years I got to share with her. She’d also eaten a large bar of soap in about 10 seconds one night, and it was during this adventure I learned that 1.) soap is not toxic and does NOT require a trip to the emergency vet at 2 am and 2.) orally ingested soap creates a lovely, mobile canine soap dispenser for several days. I loved her, but she was very difficult to handle on her own, so I would’ve been hard pressed to deal with a 2nd and remane sane.

Then she died of cancer in Oct. I’d always wanted a greyhound, so I got one in Dec. He’s wonderfully well-behaved. He doesn’t open drawers, doesn’t eat kleenex or used toilet paper, and doesn’t have a penchant for walking around with liquid soap saliva. In May, I decided to foster another retired grey. I ended up adopting the second one I fostered. They just fit so well together. I can definitely say that walking is more difficult with two, but they learn to work as a team if you’re lucky. They like each other, and are now starting to play with each other. (Greyhounds are notorious about taking a looooong time to settle in.) They’re about 4 years apart, but the younger one, the newly adopted female, is defintely lazier!

I’d say if you have the disposable income to support two, you should try fostering until you find one that fits in with your family. Fostering doesn’t have to be done through a breed-exclusive group; some humane societies and other rescue organizations allow fostering and are, in fact, greateful for the space it frees up. It’s really ideal because it often takes a couple of weeks for a dog to feel comfortable enough to show his/her true personality.

The Collies and Shelties I’ve been around have been okay with other dogs; they seem pretty friendly. They are also herders, so they may prefer to herd a cat rather than have one. :slight_smile:

I’ve heard lots of different opinions on gender mixes. I have all female dogs. Many people think that having too many females is asking for trouble, but none of our dogs are confused as to who’s alpha at our house–only mr.stretch doesn’t seem to understand that I’m the big dog. :wink:

Of course, all of our girls are spayed, and we had that done as early as possible; around 4 months old. I only made the mistake of letting one of my girls go into heat once–as I’m not a breeder that will never happen again. Wendy the Wonderful Weiner Dog was miserable during her heat and it was only because of poor timing on my part that she had to go through it. I still feel kinda bad, even though we no longer have that dog.

Saw your link to the Penny the Pek. She’s cute, but looks like she’s an older dog, what with the very gray muzzle. It also appears that she had the characteristic Pek underbite. :slight_smile: Our neighbours have a Pek that is about 100 years old, has no eyes :frowning: , and still waddles around the back yard running roughshod over their Golden Lab. She’s a little toughie.

Something to consider with older small dogs–sometimes they are very poorly socialized and exhibit very dominant and agressive behaviour because people don’t understand that they are still dogs. They need boundaries and they need to know who is alpha and many, many smaller dogs are simply not raised correctly. I believe that some smaller dogs are much more dangerous for this fact and am extremely leary of being bitten by one. So, definitely take Zoe to meet her to check reactions.

Ooh, you could get a second Molly. Or maybe a Katie–look at those ears! I should never, ever go to Petfinder.

I’m sure I could think of more, but mr.stretch called and distracted me. He and Jake went camping; it’s Jake’s first trip and mr.stretch called to tell me it isn’t going very well. :frowning: She won’t eat or drink, and keeps hiding in the tent. I’m afraid my weekend away from the husband may be coming to an end, cuz he’s thinking about coming home. Dammit.

That sounds like an ideal situation! Only one animal to train and walk, but twice the fun. But my parents have a cat and dog and they just avoid each other, so that won’t do much good. Then again, my Zoe is much more friendly to strangers (canine and human) than their dog (an Akita).

And thanks always for your advice stretch. I’ll definitely take Zoe to meet any potential new addition to our herd. Yes I noticed Katie too - and also Tyson and Kendall… Aww…

Kendall–what a cutie.

I’ve always had cats–I love them, too. Cats require a different type of work from their humans and they make excellent companions for the right dog. It may be a good compromise for you and Zoe.

I have always had two dogs. They seem to like being part of the pack. You take one away and they howl like crazy.

And there is nothing cuter than seeing them laying down butt to butt on your sofa.

I just took Zoe out for a walk and came across one of the neighborhood cats. The cat was hissing at Zoe but Zoe was whining and wagging her tail like crazy - sure looked like she wanted to play. Maybe I’m projecting my feelings, but I definitely get the feeling Zoe wants someone her own size to play with.

We’ve just decided (again) not to add a second dog. (I’m a sucker for the pictures in our local paper.) We’ve had our pound puppy for close to ten years, and while she’s not aggressive toward other dogs, she’s not much interested, either. And she is fairly low maintenance - which might not be the case with two.

I also spent some time reading articles about having multiple dogs. Here are some links:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_Multiple_Dog.html

http://www.gurney.co.uk/pads/twodogs.htm
http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/seconddog.htm

I had to weigh in on this topic. We got our first dog together in December 1993 a poodle named Max. We didn’t add another dog till January 2002. It was fun to say the least. We never had a problem with Max chewing, but the shih-tzu named Gizmo was the chewing queen. God love her. I should have known there was going to be trouble when I took her to her first vet visit and the vet said everything was fine the only thing she needed was a set of braces for her teeth. My other half walked in the house one day and there was stuffing everywhere in the vicinity of where the couch was to be found. In the middle of it was Gizmo he said she raised her head up in the midst of the mess and she had white stuffing hanging from her mouth that made her look like the bearded shih-tzu santa paws. It was like x-mas in our living room. Then in December of 2003 we added another dog, but it was my other halfs mom and dads little yorkie. His mom passed in December 2003 and his dad passed in February 2004 so little Tootie was a package deal we weren’t about to give her up. But let me tell you 3 is a treat. Even if she only weighs 5.2lbs.

Basically if you can afford grooming, vet bills, housing for the pet when you go on vacation, more food to buy and all the fun that goes along with it sure go ahead and have another. We personally wouldn’t have it any other way!

I used to have two dogs. My Bobbie girl was a rescue, 2 years old, and was an only dog for 4 years. She had separation anxiety, but was not destructive about it. She would cry and “yodel” if left alone.
Then I found this street urchin and let him in the back yard. Bobbie liked him, they played well together, and after searching for his family, I adopted him. Bobbie’s crying when I left stopped when Joplin moved in.
There were territory issues with Joplin, and we worked through them. Bobbie was always top dog, and Joplin learned his place in the pack. They played together, but were never snuggly pals. Oddly, Joplin hates other dogs – lunges at them, barks aggressively, etc. But Bobbie was his buddy.
Two vet bills (not too bad), two kinds of dog food, two water dishes.
When Bobbie passed away last year, Joplin mourned her, I think. He acted out a bit, but has settled down since. But I can’t get another because he would eat a puppy or fight with another dog. I kinda miss having another shedder in the house.

We have two dogs (and a cat, and a guinea pig, and some fish…). Generally it’s a good thing. They happen to be brother and sister from the same litter, and pretty much have never been apart. The only real problem is that if one gets wound up, it gets the other one wound up, which gets the first one even more wound up, etc. Two dogs will learn things from each other too, both good things and bad (hey cool, I can get in the trash if I do THIS, look!).

For the OP, since your dog is home alone all day long, I think it would be a very good idea. Just make sure both dogs are in an area where they can’t go on a wild rampage and destroy much of your house while you are out. It may take a while for new dogs to get used to each other. Once they sort out who is who they’ll get along fine.

In case anyone is interested, here’s pics:
http://userweb.suscom.net/~sokosfamily/webpics.htm
(dogs are at the bottom - scroll down)

OK, someone talk me out of (or into) adopting this guy

Man, that’s a cool looking dog, and sounds like he’s friendly to other dogs.

Not too much help in the “talk out of” department, I’m too much of a pushover for cute dogs.

min, and my GF’s dog spend most days togethor…they seem a lot happier that way. CQ (my boy) is getting too old for roughhousing, but they used to have a grand time of it.

Be aware though, that two dogs, like to adolescent boys, will get into 10 times as much mischeif as one of them alone. For example, neither dog would get into garbage when left alone, but SOMEBODY always would when they were left togethor. (They’ve both been caught red pawed at it)

Also, you need to take the second dog in on a trial basis. Sometimes they will fight. One will pretty much have to be dominant, and if they don’t agree which one that is, there will be trouble. There will be some issues while they work that out, but if it takes more than a week, it probably won’t ever be settled.

Ah, that’s what I need, a GF with a dog! … oh, who am I kidding? :frowning:

I stopped by the pound to take a look at Booster (above link). He’s a funny dog - when the volunteer led him to the petting room he leapt up and actually hugged her tightly. Then he did the same to me and gave me a kiss. Maybe that indicates a very insecure and needy dog, but maybe Zoe would be enough company? Too bad they won’t let me briing Zoe to meet him, but I could return him to the shelter if things don’t work out.

I’ll have to sleep on it and think it over…

I knew a guy in Maine who used to say, “It’s a poor man what got a dog. It’s a poorer man what got two.”

Anyway, we have two. My experience:

Basically, instead of one dog being upset when you leave, you have two dogs beign upset when you leave. I know you’re thinking, “oh, he’ll have a friend. Maybe they’ll figure out a way to throw the ball for each other” but that won’t happen.

But, I’ve known two dogs that become great friends. I’ve known two dogs that basically tolerate each other. I think it’s rare that two dogs are going to hate each other. Yes, they might for a while, but they’ll establish a pecking order.

The MAJOR sticking point with two dogs is this: when you go away, you can’t leave TWO dogs with a friend who has ONE dog. Going from two to three is crossing a critical dog line. So, if you’re going away, you need to place one dog with two different people or pay someone to house sit for you (which is what we try to do).

We have a 100 pound Akita and a 65 pound border collie. The BC was there first. He’s the alpha dog in the house. He’ll get in the Akita’s face when the food comes out, but that’s about the only time he’ll do that. At the park, the Akita’s the alpha. It’s a weird dynamic.

YOU, the owner, also has some say about which dog becomes the alpha in your house. Which one do you feed first? Let out the door first? Pet first? Pet more? Dogs notice that shit.

We have two, but we went for about 18 months with our first one before getting the second. It’s not really been any more work. Of course your food and vet bills are doubled, but besides that, it’s pretty much the same. And, as noted, dogs are social animals. Ours play together all day.