Dollhouse 1/8 "Holy Crap!" (spoilers inside)

Did Saunders killed Bennett for Boyd? We never found out why she was imprinted with hatred for Topher. He prepared her imprint. He might have made her hate him because of his own sense of guilt.

Actually in the season opener Topher claimed she never was imprinted with hatred for him per se - she developed that loathing on her own just based on interacting with him. Not so hard to believe considering her ( programmed ) compassion for the dolls and Topher’s distinct lack of such at the time.

'course at this point who knows what is actually going on in her head.

Am I reaching here or did DeWitt’s line

“You forced me to come to Arizona. I loathe Arizona”

reference Sharon Stone’s line from Total Recall

“That’s for making me come to Mars. (kick) You know how much I hate this ******* planet!”

No. Bennett and Caroline had different interpretations of the same event. Bennett didn’t understand that Caroline was leaving her alone to save her (when you have a crushed and broken arm, I imagine it affects your concentration a bit).

Hate isn’t the opposite of Love, Indifference is. I think Saunders had a really deep love/hate going on with Topher. She loved him, but didn’t like him at all.

WAG, Topher (who is also an MD) put alot of himself into Dr. Saunders (remember the scence where he talks about her fear of the outside world? Topher says that was mine) and I think some of his self-love/ego and his self-doubt/hatred got into the mix.

Fear <----------------------------------------------------------> Love

No no no. It’s…

“Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to anger. No, wait, hold on. Fear leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side. Hold on, no… First you get the women, then you get the money, then you… Okay, can we forget that?”

Is that an invitation to ask you to forcibly insert a lifeline exercise card into your anus?
And more to the point of this thread, I agree perhaps Bennett merely considered herself abandoned with a terrible injury, without regard to the motives behind it.

I’m trying to remember if Boyd was ever in the area when any of the doll-testing tech was used. If not, then perhaps he’s a doll? Maybe the original Boyd was an evil guy, and somewhere along the way he was taken out and turned into a doll.

If he’s a bad guy behind Rossum, it’s hard to explain why he just shot six of the top guys, why he helped all the dolls escape, etc.

On this show, it’s likely too simple to just say that Boyd is the bad guy. There will be another twist - like maybe he’s a bad guy, but less bad than the real bad guys who are yet to be seen - sort of like DeWitt. Perhaps he also has his limits, and Rossum went to far and he turned away from the dark side or something.

I did get the impression that he and Saunders had the execution of Bennet planned. But that would make some sense even as ‘good’ guys - Bennet was pretty unrepentant about what she was doing. Unlike Topher, who grew a conscience and a pair at the same time, Bennet still didn’t seem to care what she was asked to do, and showed complete indifference to the fate of the dolls. Therefore, she couldn’t be allowed to live. It could be that Boyd was trying to take down Rossum from within, and he was slowly pushed back to DeWitt’s house as his last stand. Now the job is to wipe out all the other houses, destroy the tech, and kill everyone who can rebuild it.

If that’s the case, I don’t think Topher is particularly safe from Boyd or Saunders. Maybe he only needs to be kept alive for the time being because they need him.

Boyd was definitely there when Alpha used the killbot trigger on all the dolls. Mind you, Alpha and Echo both coped with it, so he could be like them. I’m pretty sure he was there when everyone got affected by that virus thing at the college, and the dolls reacted differently to the normals, but again the ‘perhaps he’s a different kind of doll’ thing could apply.

The rest of your post is entirely feasible.

He wasn’t affected by the crazy virus like dolls were. And I’m pretty sure he was around when Topher tested the “shut down all the dolls” device.

That was the brilliant part. We kept assuming that some we knew would be a doll of Clyde, so we had already discounted all the people we knew weren’t dolls. No one was expecting we would actually know the real head guy.

But the killbot trigger only worked because all the dolls had been infected with a virus when they were rewiped after they had been compromised by Alpha. If Boyd was a doll, he wouldn’t have been rewiped and infected.

As for the college virus thing, I don’t remember whether Boyd was exposed to that or not.

I’m not 100% sure Topher isn’t a Clyde. Didn’t Topher just come up with a way to remote imprint someone without them having the doll infrastructure installed? Wasn’t that what DeWitt gave to what’s his name Rossum guy?

Now, suppose an earlier Clyde had already come up with that technology, but it hadn’t been shared with the company. Suppose that Clyde used that technology to create the later versions, and Topher is one of those later versions. Topher might not be susceptible to the things that have affected the known dolls, because he doesn’t have that hardware.

I’m leaning towards Topher not being a Clyde, but I won’t be surprised if he turns out to be one.
Oh… and if we’re supposing that Clyde had already worked out the technology, that could explain Boyd, too. We know Clyde has used several bodies, and other Rossum execs do, too, so there’s no reason to think that whoever Boyd really is wouldn’t load himself into whatever body he needed at the time.

True about the killbot trigger. That explains Alpha too. Doh.

I just remembered Boyd insisting that he take Echo out on her ‘romance’ mission with a former client even though he was no longer a handler. He was the one that persuaded DeWitt that Ballard’s FBI skills were needed. And then that former client of Echo’s was found with his throat slit.

In the same ep, DeWitt said that somebody must have been helping Alpha - she suggested it was Echo, but it could have been Boyd or Whisky. There’s certainly a hint that one or both of them were helping Alpha.

I hope there aren’t too many flashbacks in episode 12, but it seems like there might be, to explain things.

Boyd was affected by the college virus. He started playing piano.

I wonder if he thinks he’s not evil, that he has (he thinks) a good reason for everything he is doing. And a lot of the people he killed could be considered competition.

With the college virus thingie, normal non-Doll humans reacted by getting initially giggly and acting drunk/high. Boyd was among the first to get infected, and he got the giggles.

I liked that too. I think Topher’s only got a couple more steps to go on that trip, poor guy.

Actually Dr. Claire Saunders was based on the original (male) Dr. Saunders, who was their original House doctor, and was killed during the Alpha rampage. I don’t think they would have needed to use any of Topher at all, really, since the “real” Dr. Saunders was already a doctor, and all they’d really need to do is throw in enough “female” memories so that Dr. Claire Saunders didn’t twig to the fact that she used to be a man (so to speak).

Wild-Ass Theory time:
It’s been 10 or so years since Clyde Prime copied himself, made the imprint more compliant, and tested the imprinting tech, no? So who’s to say that Clyde 5, after so many years of living and working and being, didn’t manage to develop a spine on his own? I’m not sure that any other Doll has been imprinted with the same personality for 10 years straight; and it certainly seems like the imprints/Dolls can develop and grow over time – Victor and Sierra remembered that they loved each other even after being wiped multiple times.

So, Clyde 5 no longer likes kowtowing to the Head Honcho and possibly feels like the fate of Clyde Prime was a pretty shitty thing to do, given that he’s almost exactly like Clyde Prime. Clyde 5 says to Caroline “My partner and I have been waiting to meet you.” But he never actually says that it’s his business partner. In comes Boyd, who said that she wouldn’t be harmed. Quite possibly Boyd arranged for Caroline to get a slightly different Doll architecture, one that allows her to remain a person and retain memories from imprint to imprint. Boyd goes undercover as her handler. Caroline, and Boyd, are moles; and Boyd has been carefully getting ducks in a row to take Rossum down from the inside.

Uncomfortable thoughts: Boyd had access to Dr. Saunders to alter her imprint to make her a sleeper, and he was the one who insisted on bringing her back to the Dollhouse before it went into lockdown.

And I honestly don’t think Claire hates Topher that much. She sure doesn’t like him, but willingness to kill someone who is basically a bystander to exact revenge? We haven’t seen that in her makeup. In fact there was no particular iciness at all when she stitched up his lip.