DONATED GOLD COINS – Q) Done by the Salvation Army???

I am inclined to believe that it is no other than the Salvation Army ‘donating’ many of these precious coins.

These gold coin donation stories generate great free publicity.

Maybe the Salvation Army permits it just like a white lie is told as to not offend.

J’accuse!

Rare gold coin found in Torrington, CT Salvation Army kettle

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2009/12/14/news/local/doc4b267bbf49372341096820.txt

Since there really isn’t a question that has a factual answer here(at least, in my opinion), this one get’s moved to IMHO. Opinion away.

samclem Moderator, General Questions

As a poster, I think it’s not illogical for these things to have been done by private individuals.

Happy Holidays.

I’m sure there are plenty of people who have donated this much to the Salvation Army in less grand fashion. Once the story of the first one came out, I’m sure plenty of self important morons wanted to copy it. Then they get to see their own personal donation covered on the news, and think how wonderful they are to themselves.

There was a case locally where (usually) a St-Gaudens would turn up in the collection plate of some church at Midnight Mass Christmas Eve. One per year for a whole lot of years, always a different church as far as I recall. Some churches went public and a few didn’t but it was regular as clockwork.

It was a real person who was doing it and it was kept up after his death; the request that his heirs continue was in his will (as a request and not a stipulation) along with a supply of the $20 gold pieces that were his coin of choice. I never got the full details but it was something about a church helping him out just before or after WW II when he was having some really bad times. That church had closed so he just picked churches at random.

(I know because we purchased the rest of the estates coins and scanned the remaining “donation stack” for rare dates or varieties. And solved a mystery I had wondered about for years.)

I think it could be true. I have volunteered with the SA and they get quite a bit of sizable dontations at Christmas, easily over a few grand. So I don’t think it’d be too unreasonable to have someone buy a gold coin and donate it, just to see if the gets a mention in the paper

I suspect the OP doesn’t understand the warm feeling that giving brings.

Being in a position to donate a bit of money is always a blessing and it feels good to share. But if we are known to give we get pressured to give more, so many prefer to donate anonymously - this removes the chance to be thanked or even noticed for giving. It feels good to give, but some people appreciate being thanked and noticed. If they have to give anonymously they can’t be thanked or noticed. By giving a gift that stands out, a donator can remain anonymous while still recieving special notice and public thanks. It’s a win-win-win. (Feel good for giving, Remain anonymous, recieve thanks)