Don't Judge a Book by Its Cover, No Matter How Tattered the cover Happens to Be

I already know what you are going to say. “I he hadn’t committed a crime to begin with, he wouldn’t be in this situation.” While that is true, the situation is still bullshit.

My friend is a 22-year-old male, who also happens to be a convicted felon. (attempted uttering and publishing; he forged some checks a few years ago when he was a teenager.) About a week or so ago, the church that is on the same road as his house was broken into and some audio recording equipment was stolen. The road he lives on is not very populated.

My friend was nowhere near his house when this happened. As a matter of fact, he was with me in our makeshift recording studio at a band-mate’s apartment. But, since he is a convicted felon, guess who is the number-one suspect on the police’s list?

We have no way of proving that he didn’t do it, even thought he didn’t, because “of course (we) are going to cover for” our friend. So now we might lose another talented performer, having just seen another good friend and respected artist move to Florida yesterday. This leaves our once six-person hip-hop act down to four, and puts our hopes of an April concert in front of hundreds of people in serious jeopardy.

This may seem like a very petty rant to some, and maybe it is. But I’m rusty - I haven’t been on the boards in God-knows how long, and this whole situation just pissed me off. Judging a book by its cover has never been more blatant.

-Dirty

Your friend may get hassled by the cops, but remember that the burden of proof is on the prosecution. They won’t bring charges against him unless they can actually prove something, and it doesn’t sound like they’ll be able to, especially if you and your other friends are willing to testify on his behalf.

And why shouldn’t they? What else do people have to judge by? Your friend is a natural and logical suspect. The police will take your testimony into account. They will also see if any evidence connects your friend to the crime.
Quit whining. Life isn’t fair, and sometimes you pay for your mistakes for a very long time.

You don’t have to prove he didn’t. They have to prove he did.

smiling bandit, this is judging a book by it’s cover, maybe you stole audio equipment. Look at your name, you must have.

Doesn’t feel too good does it?

I don’t think the police are judging a book by it’s cover. If that were the case, they would’ve brought him in for questioning because of his appearance, i/e if he had long hair, or the color of his skin, or because he was into hip-hop.

What the police did do, is judge the book by the first few chapters.

Completely different things, in my book (ironic implications intended).

:confused:

that doesn’t even make sense.

A name on a message board is waaaaaaay different from being a convicted felon.

While we’re making comparissons, how about this one:

So, if a convicted molester moved next door, a reformed one per what he says, are you honestly telling me that you wouldn’t have any reservations about having him look after your child?

Where’s your concert supposed to be? Have you performed around West MI before?

I’m trying to figure out what the OP is more concerned about - his friend being wrongly accused in a major crime, or his band breaking up. Sure, both things suck, but I think arranging your priorities is much more important than this cover-judging.

[hijack]
“Don’t judge a book by its cover” has got to be one of the stupidest folk aphorisms ever. Everybody judges books by their covers. After all, you can’t be exected to read every book – you have to have some very quick way of telling whether it’s likely to be worth your time.
[/hijack]

I dunno, Truth Seeker, there are a whole lot of stupid folk aphorisms out there. “You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar,” for example, completely overlooks the fly-attracting power of feces and rotting meat.

Or, “That’s like comparing apples and oranges.” Huh? They’re both round, fist-sized, sweet-tasting fruit that grow on trees. There’s quite a bit similar between apples and oranges. They’re eminently comprable.

And let’s not even get started on, “The exception that proves the rule.” This is the sort of folksy “wisdom” that makes elitism seem so attractive.

I’d say my internet nic isn’t going to make anyone think I was a thief. Your friend, however, has a criminal history. In case you haven’t noticed, that means he was convicted of a crime.

The police would be terribly remiss in their duty if they did not pay attention to it.

This may sound harsh, but quit whining. You have no reason to be angry at all.