(Old) Don't Sleep On The President's Day Sales - A Mattress MMP

Bacon’s in the oven for brekky sangers.

Me so far this morning:

Also, meat is marinating

[Southern Grandma]Bless your heart[/Southern Grandma]

“Good luck, Captain. I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before.”
:smiley:

That’s a great idea. I’ll try to make a prototype this week.

Made the breakfast sandwiches, picked up a prescription, went to the supermarket, took out the trash and recycling, and started the dishwasher… all before noon!

Started Typing: 2:12 PM ET
Clicked Reply: 3:25 PM ET

I’d planned to go to a local jam session today – I was gonna have pizza and tater tots for lunch and everything – but it turned out that I had way too much crap to do instead. Mostly volunteer-related stuff: three events in two weeks meant a lot of mailing list signups to deal with, pictures to post/organize, etc., on top of the usual membership applications to process. I spent several hours catching up on all of that, then I paid my bills, and then I got caught up here. I still need to do my taxes, but that can keep waiting. I’m glad I took the time I did – there will be more to do by next weekend – but this makes the second jam session in a row that I’ve skipped because I had to catch up on volunteer stuff. (Have I mentioned lately that I’m quitting the volunteer gig at the end of the year? Is it December yet??)

Yesterday’s flirting with Cute Fellow Volunteer seems to have been successful! When he walked in he gave me a hug, and we sat together for the 2-hour program. There was some small talk and joking and leaning toward each other throughout, and another hug when he left. Two hours later I got an email with the subject line “hey,” which opened with an in-joke from the event and said “I don’t have your number” (and included his) and “good seeing you as always!!” Now, I am super rusty, but I think that was a good sign. :slight_smile: I replied with another in-joke, my number, a statement that it was good to see him too and that I was looking forward to seeing him again in two weeks (at the next event), and a followup to something he’d mentioned earlier. We exchanged a couple more brief emails, and now I’m happily anticipating the next event. (Though I’m wishing I’d texted him instead of emailing him back…d’oh! :woman_facepalming:) And, last night I found his LinkedIn profile and sent him a connection invitation (his name’s too common for FB; I’m actually surprised that I found him on LinkedIn without much effort). Anyway, right now we barely know each other and there are still Big Things that could be dealbreakers for one or the other of us, but there’s definitely a spark (which I’d suspected last year) and I like what I know so far and I’m up for learning more. It’s fun to feel this way after so long of…well…not.

(At the risk of no one getting a Happy Days reference, I’m feeling a bit like Ralph Malph: “I’ve still got it!” :grin: )

In other news, last night I realized/decided that I’m officially not a jigsaw puzzle person: I get no thrill from fitting pieces together, and progress happens way too slowly. But I’m glad I tried! I put all of the pieces back in the box, and will either give it away or sell it at a yard sale or something.

Suddenly it’s after 3pm and I haven’t eaten anything yet today (two protein shakes have gotten me this far)…time to type up some replies and migrate to the living room. Catch y’all in the new thread, if not later today!

Gotcha; thanks! Some nice pics there.

(I wouldn’t have been surprised if I’d completely missed a link, though! :joy:)

Gah, I missed it! Belated Happy Doperversary! :tada:

GENIUS! I need to start doing that for myself… :grin:

So cute!!

Howdy Y’all! We deheathenated and then came home for a sammich N.O.L. and a nap. Grilled chikin, sallit, and cheesey garlic bread have been consumed and the biiiiiig trash can has been hauled all the way down to the road for pickup tomorrow. Netflix and chill are up soon.

Dicey you made corn cake not corn bread.

MOOOOOOM it’s not nice to strangle little old ladies, but there’s no harm in thinkin’ about it, I guess.

Oopsie it’s nice to be noticed, especially by someone you want to notice you. Who knows, maybe it’s the beginnin’ of a thing. A little flirtation back and forth is what got OYKW and me together. Well, that and invitatin’ him over for dinner and feedin’ him steak, baked N.O.T., sallit, chawklit covered strawberries, and champagne. :angel:

It’s not nice to strangle BIG old ladies either. Just saying in case I ever meet any of you in real life.

Me too. Except it was hauled out to the alley (big urbane city life, doncha know).

The wood stack cover and frame, empty except for Mrs. L.A.'s reindeer and sleigh Christmas decorations, just blew over in the wind. It’s dangerously windy.

When I worked graveyards, I used to stop at the bar when they opened up at 0730 for chili and a beer sometimes. It was supper. No law on what we eat at what time of day.

I’m over half way through the album now. :slight_smile: I’ve paused for Sunday dinner and a bit of surfing, but will resume after.

I just responded to a nextdoor post. Someone is looking for some dog-sitting. Might be good for me.

Afternoon all. Turns out one of the other volunteers opened up the gym 10 minutes before I got there, so I left the key with him and went to the gym for what turned out to be a 1,000 calorie bike burn (not all at once, but in 20-30 minute sessions with breaks in-between). So now I don’t feel so guilty about that bread loaf I consumed at Longhorn today. Will shorty have a little more to eat and with nothing much else on the schedule will move into sloth mode here shortly. 64F outside an comfortable inside so no reason to move much.

shoe, you really need to keep that manager around.

doggio, that show had all the great lines.

flyboy, sit down, man, before you burn yourself out! :wink: :grin:

Oopsie, I’d say you were hit by the Cluehammer, and unlike this fellow you read the signs correctly. We’ll look forward to further developments. Schlock Mercenary - Friday 12 Aug 2005

VanGo, hope it works out with the pupper-sitting.

OK, need to replenish stocks and fill that belly, so take care all and if I don’t get back tonight I’ll see all y’all on the next MMO.

Back from youngest son’s place. The chili and cornbread was good and we all had fun. But man, that 40 minute drive sure takes it out of me. The knee cramps up and my neck aches. Wahhhh! Time for some televisual entertainment.

I cleaned, I napped, I took out the recycling and garbage. Watching hockey.

My FairyChat collection(2006 vintage):

Get paid to pet dogs and pick up poop? sounds good.

:slight_smile:

Yay! I think that you need some doggos in your life.

I think that I’m done in the studio for the evening. Time to surf!

Hi all. I’m eating dinner near home right now = 8PM, then going home. Dinner is at Bar Louie. Cajun blackened chix, shrimp, andouille, & mixed roast peppers in a cream sauce on cavatappi plus a decent California red blend wine :wink: . Pleasant enough.

Pix & vids are now at LSLGuy in Labelle & Fort Myers. Some of the vids might not be viewable yet, Google is taking it’s time “thinking”. So in order, that’s parade, festival, fly-in, more festival, downtown Ft. Myers sunset, dinner, music, drinks & moon on Sat. Then on Sun it’s Hurricane Ian devastation on Ft Myers Beach, then baseball.

That was one pic of every parade float or vehicle or group over 90 whole minutes. A much longer parade than I had expected. I bet those swamp buggies have never been, and never will again be, quite that clean. It’s a badge of honor to have the muddiest mess stuck to your vehicle. I took short vids of the parade & festival bands so you could hear the joyous noise. I did what I could at the armadillo races; the set-up was less than ideal, but I did capture the winner winning, so I get at least partial credit. I took one pic just for dear Shoe; maybe y’all can figure out which it is. :wink: I also took a pic of a t-shirt for sale with a spelling error on it. That’s either a very subtle and clever ironic dig, or just ordinary plain stupidity. Any opinions on which?

I took a few of the various crowds at the venues just to trigger JtC’s anxiety. Not really, but it probably will anyhow :wink: . Great fun seeing and interacting w everyone.

Todays breakfast was mcgregorcafe.com, a fun little place that’s been there in one form or another since the 1950s. Eggs plus no-kidding homemade corned beef hash that I swear they added cinnamon to. Odd, but very tasty! And they cooked it enough; I have no use for the sodden gooshy cat fud hash you often get with breakfast even when you request “well-done” or “crispy”; it must be crispy and it must not be out of a can. Yaay! Christa was such a dear.

I took a few pix of typical wrecked buildings along the beach. The total devastation extends along about 5 miles, plus another 5 miles of partial devastation. There is also lots of infill of brand new construction. And many lots that were scraped flat where you can still see the foundation and everything else is gone.

This is another one of the events where long-time middle class retiree residents who bought 20 or 40 years ago are being pushed out by the damage and partial insurance payouts and the fatcats able to spend $3-6M for a vacation home are who is buying the new opulent construction. It’s happening all over the country as the coastal real estate becomes worth 20x what it was 30-40 years ago when few wanted to live there. I have to say as pretty as the shiny new mansion/beach houses were, I’m glad to be renting; let somebody else shoulder that risk.

After all that, baseball was great under cloudless skies. The “home” team of BOS won 8-6, so the crowd near me on the BOS side of the stadium was happy. Not so much over on the other, MIN, side. Sorry Cookie. Whole lotta Bostonians in that part of the crowd; rather few Floridiots. I took the vid from a random vantage to show the whole stadium, but the in-stadium stills were all taken at my seat just behind the 3rd base dugout. A fine Italian sausage with mixed peppers & onions was had, along with a water, a Yuengling, and a half-bag of popcorn spread over 3 hours.

The crowd was not quite SRO of 10K people, but close. Which is typical for Spring Training. Once the minor league teams take over in April, the crowds dwindle from many thousand down to a couple hundred and things are very spacious. To the point that almost all of the concessions close for lack of customers and those which remain open have a very limited menu. So you’ll find the whole mini-“crowd” of 150 people concentrated in whichever section is closest to the one open beer & hotdog stand.

The only pix I really wanted to bring y’all but were unable to get were ones of the “Panther Crossing” signs on the highway, the roadkill deer carcass being eaten by the flock of 20+ vultures, and some of the cows & horses along the roadside. And a better vid of an armadillo race; those are so great.

Cheers all!

Just finished dinner. I warmed up the leftover taco meat, and Mi Esposa had a burrito with meat, cheese, and sour cream. I had a tao salad: A quarter of a head of iceberg lettuce, taco meat, some of that salsa I made, store-bought spicy guacamole, sour cream, and shredded cheddar. Not enough taco meat or sour cream to save, so I re-reheated the meat and mixed in the sour cream and some cheddar and just ate it.

Knit a MIL doll and shake the heck out of it as often as needed!

I was still smoking tobacco when FIL was here. I went from smoking half a pack a day to two packs a day just so I would have an excuse to go outside where I couldn’t shake him!

Isn’t that where snowflakes come from?

100% truth!

Neat! I hope you sell a lot of them. Do be sure to glance up (with proper eye protection) once in a while during the big day. Take some to the store that sells your work in advance, I’m sure many of the locals are getting excited too.

I think that dog sitting sounds like a good thing for you to do as well.

I am pretty rusty too, but yeah…good sign!

Our local library also lends puzzles and accepts donations.

The blue color for the links is pretty hard to see, isn’t it?

Hubs grew up thinking he didn’t like corn bread because his family cooked like West by-gawd Virginians. (They put sugar in EVERYTHING) I made a batch of buttermilk cornbread to take to a potluck and he suddenly learned that he does like corn bread, he didn’t like corn cake.

It was a beer and burger at 0800 for me. There was a regular crowd of grave yard workers there first thing in the morning, I fit right in.

Super cool!

Snert!

I can look at pics and think “better you than me!”, LOL. Actually, I wanted to look at the parade pics, cause I just love parades, but the are still loading. I’ll look later.

It’s warming up here, was around 70F this afternoon and my Columbines are sprouting. I’m kinda all dang it about that, they need to be repotted and I thought I had another month. They will be too fragile now, so I’m going to have to wait until they are big and hard to handle. My fault, I’ve been trying to hold spring off with the power of my denial and that never works.

Hubs mowed the grass filled clover patch so I need to get out there with my hoop hoe and go after the grass. I remember Dad battling the clover in his lawn, now I’m battling the lawn in my clover.

I dithered too much with my eclipse plans (only 42 days left!) and couldn’t make reservations at the Dallas Art museum, so I got tickets for the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History. They have an observatory and will have filtered telescopes available for public viewing. Yeah, I know it will be crowded but I’m planning on bringing some gummies for that, plus you can vape outside.

You all need to just slow down. I can’t possibly read and respond to the 87 posts that were waiting for me just now. :roll_eyes: :grimacing:

So, I’ll just say goodnight and catch up in the morning! :grinning:

Sounds Yummy!

As to ya’ll since this morning, and I hope my tablet doesn’t run out of batteries …

I’ve seen you in person; it’s not that bad.

Yaay for pubbing (which is quite different from pubing). How do you pronounce Lych Gate, or is that a typo?

Cookie hope you connected w Son & DIL this time for real.

It’s nice you’ve gotten used to her appearance. But how is she doing on getting used to seeing through those new & improved eyes?? Since I switched to different near & far scrips for my contacts in each eye and jettisoned my readers I look about 10 years younger. It’s great! Ref FCM as well, my cataracts will mature in a few years; they’ve been “2 or 3 years” in the future for about 5 years now.

Before my pancreas mutineed, Oreos were one of those things you (well me really) ate a whole row of as a single-serving snack. They are 'Murrican perfection as cookies go.

You seem to have a severe ferret shortage. Another 60 more ferrets and it’d be decent out. Plus that many ferrets make for a very exciting gaggle underfoot at home.

I stopped at a store on the way home that shares a lot with a Texas Roadhouse. The parking lot seemed unusually busy at 7pm on a Sunday. I drove by the entrance and no shit 50 people were standing around outside waiting to get in, and probably half the hundred cars in the lot had people fiddling with their phones while waiting for something. Presumably the ping saying their table was ready. Sheesh!! I don’t think of Sun night as a killer dining event.

What a friggin gold-mine!! I may need to get one.

Life is very different for people who have access to a professional-scale deep fryer. I’d never own a home fryer; too dangerous. You lucky folks are fully equipped to try deep-fried anything; even deep-fried ASFs.

Hooray for eggs for you, and egg leftovers/ cast-offs for the ratties large & small. !!

As to me …
About out of tablet charge; I’ll pick up tomorrow at dawn before I lose this post like I did 2 days ago …

Cheers all!!!1!!1!

She is adjusting very well. She said Her eyes were blurry at first but they improve every day. She is seeing very well but still needs readers.