Door opener at grocery store

Well, that explains why I’m always smacking into the door. I’m both.

:confused: The doors here will open if you push them, even if they are automated. :confused:

DOR-MATIC.

Just recalled the name on all those black mats from my childhood. Only just now figured out the cleverness of it (dor-MAT-ic).

It’s now apparently the name of a company in Singapore.

It depends upon the type of door. Those that slide to one side require a a lot of force to swing open (they are to designed to do that, however), and the ones that swing open normally require varying amounts of force depending upon who makes them, and whether or not they’re equipped with a “handicapped assist” mechanism.

Whew! For a minute there I thought I was the only one having that problem.

The thing is, while walking into a grocery my mind is occupied by what the funk I’m going into there for in the first place (eggs, butter, milk, tampax, bread…WAIT A MINUTE!:smack: She tricked me again!!:eek: ) and not thinking about a door doing it’s job and WHACK!:mad: Right in the upper shoulder!

I don’t understand what being tall would have to do with it–except for the fact that if you’re tall, probably your legs are longer and you’re a faster walker. I don’t see that factoring into the radar at all as it would pick up part of you–maybe not your head…

OTOH I once worked at an office that had a keypad to get in and some kind of a sensor that released the lock, to get out. In the winter, when I had my black leather Stealth Coat on, I had to do a crazy little dance in front of the door to get it to open, or else go out behind some other people. It never affected anyone else that I knew of, and people laughed at me when they saw me jumping around in front of the door. And on at least one occasion my boss caught me before I could get out, and made me do more work.

I’ve got just the shoes for ya.

My wife’s real short. She has the opposite complaint. She literally goes under the radar and the doors won’t open at all. By the time she’s close enough to be in range, she’s under the beam. This is less true now than back in the 80s when the radar/sonar door openers first came out.

Her habit was to wave one arm over her head as she approached to door. Looked dumb as all get out, but it worked.

2 reasons a store would like a radar opener that works too slowly:

–If you can slow down a fast walker, he’ll see more stuff he needs to buy.
–The radar triggers radar detectors in cars for a mile around, making the neighborhood traffic slower and safer.

The old rubber mats would freeze up in the winter, and not work at all.

But theres almost nothing to see in the entry way of a store. Maybe bubblegum machines. And the fuzzbuster crowd tends to ignore X-band warnings as very, very few police departments use the X band guns anymore.

I’m a 5’ 8" man with a 30" inseam. Almost exactly average. You’d think the sensors would be aimed at the “average” person, yet I constantly have to pull up short in mid-stride as I approach the door at my favorite grocery store. I’m sure it’s the aiming, because I don’t have this problem entering the store through this door - only exiting. I do walk faster than the average goober, though. “Mosey” is not in my repertoire.