Doper Demographics

What is the age ranges of the Dopers? Who’s represented most? Are there more males than females?

1. Male.

But that’s just me. I’m sure other answers will change the ratios.

Close to my WAG. Of course I don’t have any numbers, but I would estimate 70 % male and an average age about 60, maybe a bit lower.

ETA: my own stats. 54, male. One of the young whippersnappers :wink:.

This cries out for a set of anonymous polls.

As I recall, we’ve done that. But it’s been awhile, and we’re older now.

Procrustus, 60 y.o. male.

Let’s try a poll. What is your age?

• 13-19
  • 20-29
  • 30-39
  • 40-49
  • 50-59
  • 60-69
  • 70-79
  • 80-89
  • 90+

0 voters

Same age group but am one of the few women. A lot of us have left over the unpoliced misogyny (I left too, but trickled back), and although the policing has improved, the women have not returned, I don’t believe. The board skews heavily white, male, and old.

No, you probably nailed it. :)

53, female. My husband occasionally posts here and he’s 59.

Most of us were young when we joined. We grew old together.

NM
(Missed ECG’s post.)

69, male

Isn’t that the truth!

Younger people are less likely to vote than older people.

Goddamn kids these days, they even screw up the polls.

They should stop getting on lawns, too!

41, male, been on the Dope since 2007 although I didn’t post much until 2010 or 2011 (well, I still don’t post much but I think I made one thread in 2007 then strictly lurked for a few years until the pay-to-post era was over).

I was reading the columns online ca. 2000, and have been reading the SD books since 1994 or so.

I’m a old white woman, so I kinda like old white men. (If we had more men of other ethnic/racial persuasions, I’d prolly like them, too.)

You’re describing me almost exactly, though I’m a bit older (45) and didn’t read the books. But similarly, I started reading the articles in 2000 online and joined around the end of the decade, but it took a few years for me to start posting regularly. I was initially a lurker too. How odd we are so similar.

There are even more Dopers in the older demographics, but many of us have forgotten there’s a poll at the top of the thread.