Dopers...Grilled Cheese

Hey, I’m from Wisconsin, and I’ve only ever buttered the outside. (The cheese is the other dairy item, silly.) Why would you butter the inside? The cheese melts.

Funny thing is you call it grilled cheese sandwich but you fry it right?

Whereas I make a toasted cheese sandwich on the grill.

Outside only.

I’ve had it both ways, and outside only is better.

An Gadai, does it get scorch marks on it like a grilled burger does? :slight_smile:

butter inside makes the melted cheese drip out. of course, this problem is removed if you use a waffle maker or a similar machine that crimps the edges.

Strictly speaking, you don’t need to butter either side of the bread. It’ll toast up just fine without it. On the other hand, butter is delicious, so apply as much as your conscience will allow.

Outside only.

thank you SeaDragonTattoo! this is EXACTLY how I make them… and not very often! but they are SO om nom nom…

Me too, especially if the butter just came out of the fridge. This is one of the few things that I can tolerate just a bit of ketchup with. Also dill pickles.

Butter the outside. There’s no need to butter the inside of the sandwich because you’ve already got the butter on the outside, where it serves the dual purpose of cooking and flavor.

It can do yes. This thread is making me hungry.

I guess I’m a freak of nature. I use olive oil in the pan, then flip it. No butter, I didn’t even use butter until I was an adult. Yes that means one side gets more oil, but tough.

Butter on the outside only. The only permissible thing inside the sandwich is cheese and Huy Fong Sriracha. Mayonnaise coming anywhere near a grilled cheese sandwich is an abomination.

This is how I do it.

I will occasionally add cooked bacon or ham to a grilled cheese sandwich, but then it becomes a grilled ham’n’cheese or a grilled bacon’n’cheese, which is also a great sandwich, but it’s not truly a grilled cheese. Grilled cheese sandwiches need to be white bread, with two Kraft singles. Yes, the kind that have plastic slipcovers on them. This is the only excuse for this food product that I’ve found, but it is enough.

Also, if we happen to have bacon grease, I’ll use that to grill the sandwiches in. But I haven’t told my cardiologist about this. We almost never have bacon or bacon grease in the house any more, though.

No butter.

Butter on the outside. Brown mustard goes on the inside!

And I think she knows, well, all of my ancestors because NONE of them use a REAL CHEESE on a grilled cheese sandwich. Without butter. Which shouldn’t be surprising, considering my age, but I’m off to Monroe for some REAL cheese.

Outside only. I usually do grilled turkey and cheese.

I just visited a lunch truck that has a specialty burger, the Behemoth! It is a large beef patty nestled between two grilled cheese sandwiches.

Okay, I have one twin who finds this nauseating because she has the flu and I have to call in sick for her, A separate problem.

Her sister’s not so picky. Cash in my hand and gas in my car–I may actually try this. Plus hot pepperoncini, which she wouldn’t like. (Note: The other twin) I need to rethink it.

http://www.grillemalltruck.com/menu/

I had the Dee Snyder. Hamburger with peanut butter and jelly and BBQ sauce AND BACON.

Sounds disgusting.

OMG, it was good…