Dopers: Help me get selected for jury duty!

Now there’s a sentence you don’t hear every day!

Here’s the deal: I’ve been on jury stand-by since Monday. This means I sit in the jury lounge all day and suck down free coffee while watching the USA channel on monitors bolted to the ceiling. Today I actually got to go into a selection pool, but after 6 hours and about 200 questions from the judge & council that all essentially asked us the same thing (could I be a fair & impartial juror?), I was not selected. :frowning:

Why wasn’t I selected? The world may never know. I was probably the sharpest dressed person there, and that isn’t saying much. Unshaven people wearing raggedy jeans & Reebok t-shirts & who appeared to have lost their hairbrushes got selected, while I (in my snazzy khakis & button down crisp white shirt with conservative tie fixed securely in place with silver tie tack) was not. :frowning: :frowning:

What motivates the council in their selection? What can I do to make myself look like jury material? I was not the same race as the defendant, could that have had some bearing? Now that I think about it, out of about 50 people in the pool, I was one of three white males and none of us were selected. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

The only question I personally was asked (by council) was what books have I read recently. I answered (1) The Betrayal of America by Vincent Bugliosi and (2) The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan, (oddly I happened to have both with me in my shoulder bag). Did that do me in? Should I have said The Little Engine That Could and Garfield Gets a Bath?

I’ve got eight more days of on-call duty; what will make me jury material??

Well, … heaven forbid you should look reasonably able to understand the legal issues at hand because if you can then the counsel can’t sway you by actions and greasy speech alone…

I’d say pick up a couple of very short books and read 'em tonight to push Vinnie a little lower on the list.

How 'bout Johnathan Livingston Seagull and The Rules?