Double Dialects in your neighbourhood?

Now what am I trying to go for here? Well, to make an example:

In Sweden, many immigrants from former Yugoslavia speak with a certain dialect, even after many years in Sweden. But when they learn Swedish, they usually also pick up the local accent. This makes them speak Swedish with a “double dialect”. Kinda like if a latino spoke english with a spanish dialect but with a southern drawl.

If you get what I mean? And if not, maybe that just proves that it doesn’t happen in you neck of the woods :slight_smile:

So what funny accent/dialect blends have you heard?

Just pointing out: I don’t mean eg. Indian immigrants speaking like Apu, or Korean’s speaking like Mr. Wong.

There is a definite tendency for second-generation (and even third generation on occasion) Greek, Cypriot and Turkish kids to maintain their own particular accent and dialect/s here in Australia…it’s called Wog-Boy accent, and it’s pure Aussie but with some certain linguistic changes making it definitely discernable as a separate dialect in its own right.

I once met an English-speaking Cameroonian who had been living for quite some time in Italy. When he spoke English you could hear the Cameroonian and Italian accent in equal parts.

Very cool! That’s exactly what I was talking about!

Happens all the time in the US.

One such person’s dialect, that stands out to me, is Rosie Perez. I guess you’d call it Brooklyn Boricuena.

Yiddish-Bostonian happens a lot around here. And I’ve met quite a few Mideasterners with British accents. I know one guy with an odd Hindi-Australian accent.

In Canada a lot of people are first or second generation Canadians. The concept of not having a mixed dialect is hard to imagine since I encounter it almost daily.

There is a distinct dialect in the “Ottawa Valley,” as it’s called, which is something akin to a Canadian east-coast dialect. Now, 10 minutes across town is La Belle Province de Quebec. It’s interesting to hear immigrants reflecting the regional accent, and it’s as common as anything around here. Ever here a Lebanese cab driver speak English with a Quebecois accent? How about a Chinese restaurant worker with an Irish twang? Fun times.

This isn’t exactly the same thing, but in the office where I work there are a lot of people who grew up speaking Spanish and English about equally (probably Spanish at home and English at school). In conversation with each other they will drop in and out of the two languages almost randomly. There’s also a particular accent that people who speak both languages fluently have (at least in English, I don’t know about the Spanish.)

Montreal has a quite distinct dialect (of English) that immediately identifies its speakers as Jews who grew up here. It is not a Yiddish accent and nothing at like NY Jewish accents, but is the dialect of St. Urban’s Horsemen.

Slight hijack, but I once knew this couple that was rather… amusing. He spoke broken English and only a little Japanese. She spoke English and only a little French. The language they communicated in was, according to them, English, but only the two of them could understand it. I guess it was Engrench. Or Japcaisegrish. Or maybe Frengrish.

Cool couple :slight_smile: Love conquers all…
And I guess my poll concludes that it’s quite widespread and most of the time rather amuzing.

One of my French professors in university was Romanian and had learned to speak French in Québec before coming to Alberta. Her French accent was an interesting mixture of Romanian and Québécois. She spoke English, as well, and it was sometimes a bit of a challenge to understand.

I also have friends who were born in Lebanon, grew up in Sierra Leone ,went to school in Britain, and spent a number of years in Montréal before coming to Alberta. When they spoke English, their accents were an amalgam of Lebanese Arabic, Sierra Leone Krio, British English and Québec French. I must add that, although they did have (relatively faint) accents, their English, was, nonetheless, absolutely perfect. In fact, it was substantially better than most native speakers I know.

I know of a couple of examples in my life. One was when I was jamming with some guys over a year or two, playing rockabilly (or trying to). He was older, about 46 at the time, and as it turned out, a Swedish immigrant who had apparently been a fan of the original rockabilly guys in the 1950s. A lot of those musicians, if not most, were from the South, or at least from somewhere else that was mostly rural, and in most cases their original intent was to be C&W performers. At least I assumed so because he had a real Southern accent. I never would have guessed he was Swedish; as it turned out later he still had some difficulties with English even though he’d been here most of his adult life.

Before that, when I lived in Germany for a year there was this one girl I occasionally ran into who I also thought had a Southern accent, but she was born German and had never been in the States.

For both of these people, I don’t know if that was their native accent, or if there had been some external influence on their speech.

I went to college with two orthodox Jewish brothers who grew up in Edinburgh followed by many years in Israel before coming to Chicago. That was a tough accent I tell you.