Download file pop-up

For the last day or so, when browsing the dope I get a message at the bottom of the screen asking if I want to open or save pcon.js from www .wtp101.com.

And yes I am lazy enough to stick to IE.

Interesting. A quick google of the filename shows that people all over are getting prompted to download it but I haven’t seen anything identifying what it (really) is.

Considering the number of recent queries on this particular nasty, it may be ad-generated, and infects machines not properly protected. It appears to take advantage of the open, default global settings in IE, but any browser may be vulnerable.

Suggestions:
[ul]
[li]Use a quality anti-virus. No, not just install it, but install it and use it.[/li][li]Use a quality web browser, and know how to configure the web browser. Never use a web browser “out of the box.”[/li][li]When using a quality web browser, install a few addons to protect your surfing, be it ad blockers or JavaScript inhibitors.[/li][/ul]

I may be lazy, but I’m an old hand :slight_smile:

Antivirus and Malwarebytes are always up to date. I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the board and other users. Got to say the frequency at times was disturbing, I had 6 activations over 10 pages at one point.