Downton Abbey (open spoilers)

If you’ve saved it, put on the closed captioning before running that scene. I had to do this for awhile when I watched the UK’s “The Office” because they’re accents were so strong. :slight_smile:

Deleted, unfortunately. :frowning:

But I still haven’t figured out how to caption recordings on our DVR/PVR.

Salt of sorrel (Old Chem.), acid potassium oxalate, or potassium quadroxalate, used as a solvent for ink stains; – so called because found in the sorrel, or Oxalis.

I missed parts of this wonderful show, I just love this stuff. I’m wondering , when Bates was going away in the car and then was called back - I assume he was fired for something?

Thanks, GuanoLad!

Partially disabled by a schrapnel injury he suffered in the war when he fought under Lord Crawley, O’Brien’s camp has been on a campaign to sabotage him since Day 1. O’brien tripped him in front of the Duke, as one example, and they’ve systematically dripped complaints about him to the Lady or Lord.

After Carson approached him to complain that he’d have to pay for a third footmen to compensate for Bates’ shortcomings, Lord Crawley finally capitulated and canned Bates. However, due to what looks like real affection and respect for Bates, Lord Crawley changed his mind at the last minute and re-hired him. This was a particular blow to the chief of staff (don’t know his real title), Carson, who is meticulous and extremely proud.

• Butler.

Well, I was certainly relieved Lord Crawley reconsidered. I saw that tripping up of Bates in front of the Duke and just cringed.

What a strange, artificial situation that way of life appears to me. To be the rich upper crust living in that big house, and also living below stairs all those servants, keeping out of sight until needed, like household appliances.

We really loved this show – we kept comparing it to the old Masterpiece Theater series Upstairs Downstairs. Can’t wait for Sunday again!

I read somewhere that it was being called “this generation’s ‘Upstairs Downstairs.’”

The BBC has actually made a Chrismas special/series of Upstairs, Downstairs. It’s pretty good (sorry, I couldn’t wait for PBS to show it :o). Six years after the ITV series left off a new family buys 165 Eaton Place and recruits Rose Buck to staff it. Hopefully the BBC will commision a proper series.

The series was written by Julian Fellowes, who was the screenwriter of Gosford Park.

One of the things that both this series and Gosford Park have in common is a detailed look at the life of the servant class. (I assume that Upstairs, Downstairs does as well, but I’ve never seen it.) I particularly liked the whole thing in Gosford Park where the hierarchy for seating the servants for their dinner was based on the standing of the person for whom they worked, so that the very young lady’s maid had the place of honor at the table because the woman she served was the highest ranked noble.

I read there are plans to bring back a continuation of Upstairs, Downstairs, as alphaboi867 mentioned above, and Jean Marsh is NOT pleased about Downton Abbey.

Speaking of which, I thought when the blond guy (sorry, don’t know his name), the one who’s a lawyer - when he went out to apologize to the gal in the old fashioned riding habit (Mary? out riding sidesaddle! mind the horseless carriages!) - now there was a picture worth a thousand words. Blunt crass modern man confronts genteel uptight aristocratic woman. Symbolic culture clash.

Oh, yes, Upstairs, Downstairs gave a VERY detailed look at the life of the servants. When some of the family went to stay at another big country house (fox-hunting?), the same thing you mention was shown. All of the servants who came along with their families, at the downstairs mealtimes, were seated according to the ranks of their ‘betters’… I always liked the downstairs segments more than the doings of the Bellamys who lolled around all dressed up, doing society things, ringing for tea to be served.

What I liked in Downton Abbey was that the servants were like friends and confidantes to the families, but still had that proprietary separation the class system had embedded in it. And they all think it’s the most natural and acceptable thing in the world. Even those unhappy about it and want change, respect it and obey its rules.

It shows clearly to me why the UK has such a bee in its bonnet over the class system; because it pervaded their entire culture, deeply, for centuries.

Yes, that was standard practice I believe. As was the servants collecting all of the spare change from the pockets of the gentlemen’s suits, cleaning and polishing it overnight, and returning it to them the next morning all bright and shiny.

Could someone answer the question about Elizabeth McGovern addressing the Duke as “Duke” instead of Your Grace. She did it twice- when she met him and at dinner. It sounded odd. (Elizabeth got OLD!)

Did anyone else think that Daisy the scullery maid was the soulmate of Daisy on “Bones”? I had to look and make sure it wasn’t the same actress.

According to this (which I have seen in other sources, such as “Debrett’s Correct Form”) she was not incorrect. It’s at the top of the “peers and peeresses” list. Either “Duke” or "Your Grace"would be correct.

It would appear the Dukes are the only peers addressed by title- the lower titles would be “my Lord”.

Thanks! :slight_smile: