Downton Abbey (open spoilers)

I’m excited for Sunday as well - it’s always a long wait for me while Masterpiece Theater shows mysteries all summer and fall. I hope Bates gets to stay permanently, or at least long enough to stick it to the maid that tripped him. And I liked the scene where the Duke and Mary raided the servants quarters - I thought the actress did a good job of showing her discomfort and knowledge that they were in the wrong by doing it. And Bates, “Would you like to inspect my quarters” or something like that, made me laugh.

and…Maggie Smith!

It’s a social situation and they’re more or less social equals. Either Duke, Crowborough, or even his Christian name would be acceptable depending on his preference. Only the servants would be expected to keep addressing him as “Your Grace” or “Sir”, not his fellow guests.

Nitpick, it’s Lord Grantham, not Lord Crawley. Crawley is the family name, but not the title. Lord Grantham might also be Viscount/Baron Crawley, but only his eldest son & heir would get to use that title. Since Matthew Crawley is only his heir, not his son, he’s just “Mr Crawley”.

Carson is the butler, he’s in charge of all male servants. The housekeeper, Mrs Hughes, is in charge of all the female ones except for O’Brien (who answers directly to Lady Grantham) and Mrs Patmore, the cook (who also answers directly to Her Ladyship).

The butler also irons the newspaper in Remains Of The Day.

The paper was often ironed several times a day.

Legend has it that, when awarding Jim Thorpe an Olympic prize in 1912, King Gustav V of Sweden gushed, “You, sir, are the greatest athlete in the world,” to which Thorpe replied simply, “Thanks, King.”

Shah of Iran: “You dance beautifully, Miss Bacall”.

Lauren Bacall: “You bet your ass, Shah.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Presumably because there were several editions published throughout the day?

No, I mean the same paper was ironed over again. If someone left it crumpled in the morning, it would be ironed and tidied for rereading later or by other family members.

“Thanks, King” makes me think of the line from the song in* My Fair Lady* sung by Eliza, “‘Thanks a lot, King,’ says I, in a manner well bred, 'but all I want is 'enry ‘iggins’ ‘ead!’”

I’d not heard of repeated ironing - my understanding was that the object of ironing the paper was to stop ink coming off on the master’s hands, not to get rid of creases.

My source for the newspaper ironing info is a delightful book called, The Butler’s Guide (Simon & Schuster, 1980) by Stanley Ager and Fiona St. Aubyn, written by a career butler who entered service in 1922 at the age of 14 and worked for 30 years in a home much like Downton Abbey.

Right after this, he gives instructions on how to properly roll an umbrella. Geez… I can never get that right.

This book is charming, and the introduction, which describes Mr. Ager’s life in service, is very interesting. Suggest you Downton Abbey fans grab yourselves a used copy:

A good friend of mine swears by that book, although he as yet only butles himself.

That’s still illegal in seven states, I’ve heard.

Really enjoyed it last week and eagerly anticipating tonight’s ep.

Whoa!! The Turkish guy- didn’t see that one coming!

Yes, that was unexpected and random. Also Lady Mary’s reaction to him “forcing himself” on her was a bit odd. She clearly enjoyed flirting with him, but doesn’t seem the type to indulge in her carnal desires when she was so much to lose. Also do Bates & His Lordship know about Thomas? :dubious: What else would Bates by implying by that comment about him “perking right up” the moment he saw the Turk?

I’m loving Dowager Lady Grantham. :wink: Mrs Crawley too. The looks on their faces when he was going on and on about them joining in the spirit of friendship & family. And

Apparently based on a true event the writer uncovered during research.

Those Brits do love their irony.

Did anyone else see last night’s episode? I’m thinking the new heir – the lawyer – is going to end up with Mary eventually.

I think he’ll end up with the youngest daughter. She’s the nicest, and prettiest. And she doesn’t have the aversion to working class people that Mary has.