Dozens injured in Waukesha, WI at Christmas parade: Nov 2021 [update: 6 dead, over 40 injured][update: trial]

Sorry!

I think the defense will be “temporary insanity” and at this point in time, I’m betting there is at least a 50% chance that he will walk.

How are you defining “walk”?

Well, they wouldn’t allow him to drive off, certainly.

This guy tries to hang himself in jail, just let it happen. Drown in the toilet for all I care. All prosecution needs to do is play the video. For closing arguments, play the video.

I doubt he will ever see the light of day again.

Insanity defenses almost never work, particularly when people are killed. He may raise the defense, or a diminished capacity theory, but it’s very unlikely that he will be acquitted, or released based on the insanity defense.*

And, even if he were found not guilty by reason of insanity, (again, unlikely) he would almost certainly not walk free. The person is institutionalized until they are determined not to pose a danger anymore. (Note, this defense varies a lot by state. This is my understanding of Wisconsin law, based on a very quick search. But the general info, that it almost never works, is based on a more general and extensive understanding.)

*In WI, they first determine if the defendant is guilty or not guilty. Then the question of not guilty by reason of insanity is decided. If the answer to that is yes, then the person is sent for treatment until they no longer pose a threat.

In Wisconsin, when Jeffrey Dahmer was tried for the murders he committed, his lawyers argued that he was insane, due to his necrophilia and other mental disorders; however, the jury ruled him as sane.

If it wasn’t possible for Dahmer’s legal counsel to successfully argue that he was not guilty by reason of insanity (and, all parties agreed that he did suffer from some severe mental issues), I suspect it’s going to be exceptionally difficult for it to be successfully argued in this case.

I can see him being found not guilty by reason of insanity, but no way he walks the streets for a very long time, if ever. He’ll be in an institution, either penal or mental.

The domestic disturbance just before the murders involved a knife.

And a sex offender in Washoe Co., NV

A real upstanding citizen, to be sure.

I wonder if there’s any possibility the judge and prosecuting attorney go under review for the low bail that was set.

Reno news is reporting there is an open warrant for him for failure to update his offender status. Wonder how all this got overlooked???

The interesting thing about all these details that are trickling in is that the “Heavy” online publication cited earlier had all of them pretty much right on the first day, through a combination of police radio chatter and eyewitness interviews. Pretty impressive journalism, actually. They did make the caveat that sometimes these early reports turn out to be wrong, but in this case, it seems that they nailed it.

Yeah, I frequently check heavy.com in the initial hours after a media event like this. They do a good job of consolidating and relaying information quickly, often sourced from social media, but without falling (that I’ve noticed) into the realm of political sniping or conspiracy theory that tends to accompany a lot of other early reports.

A cursory glance at the statute and that aspect of the story shows he was most likely charged with failure to register as a sex offender in Nevada. The Nevada statute is a Class D crime which equates to a 4th degree crime in most states. There is an excellent chance it is a non-extraditable warrant or one that they will only extradite from neighboring states. It may not be in NCIC so wouldn’t show up during his recent local arrests. Just speculation at this point but from my previous experience pretty likely.

The local news says that there are 6 dead now and that what’s-his-name was intentionally moving side-to-side to hit more people.

ETA: An 8-year-old boy.

Ring video of Brooks knocking on door and asking if he can wait for his Uber. Police arrive and arrest him.

He appears calm and IMHO not under the influence.

A 39-year-old wannabe rapper. Immaturity, anybody?

Video of LEO shooting at the suspect (not graphic or particularly good quality):